Better Muffler Option for SW Headers and Lightning Exit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Soldier64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I finally got around to getting my SW headers installed. I am glad I didn't undertake that job on my own. He charged me $600 for the install which is great from what I have been reading.

Now the real question. With the headers installed it sounds very raspy and not that great. I loved the sound with the stock manifolds, but now it seems a bit off. A buddy of mine told me to put a chambered muffler in the system and I just spoke to a guy at SW and he told me the same thing.

Any experience or advice on what muffler would give a more solid and deep tone with the headers I have? :think:

Thanks,
Bill

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did you remove the cats? And is this to the factory connect or the performance connect?

I have the SW LT's with cats and the Performance connect lightning while it is very loud and does drone around 2k its not really raspy. But I have been thinking of maybe removing the cats and replacing them with resonators to see if it cuts out the drone.

If you do switch mufflers let me know how it goes. I do love how loud it is and the sound but not so much the drone.

2004boss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im a huge fan of spintech. They sound amazing. I had flows on my mustang with full lengths and it was a bit raspy. The spintechs sound great on it now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

dkfc13

HPA Systems LLC.
Reaction score
Did you remove the cats? And is this to the factory connect or the performance connect?

I have the SW LT's with cats and the Performance connect lightning while it is very loud and does drone around 2k its not really raspy. But I have been thinking of maybe removing the cats and replacing them with resonators to see if it cuts out the drone.

If you do switch mufflers let me know how it goes. I do love how loud it is and the sound but not so much the drone.
if you end up doing this, please let me know how it turns out.

OP
OP
Soldier64

Soldier64

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have the high perf cats and it is all the performane connect. All professionally installed and even the guy who put it on said it was a little more raspy than he thought it should be. I am currently letting it run for a few hundred miles and I will make my decision when he has to retorque the headers. Just looking for options for upgrades.

GotExhaust.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Stainless Works Turbo Chambered mufflers will mellow out the tone. If you're still dissatisfied with the sound level you can install silencers in the lead pipes. Let us know if you would like to order the SW Turbo Chambered mufflers at a discount.

OP
OP
Soldier64

Soldier64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Stainless Works Turbo Chambered mufflers will mellow out the tone. If you're still dissatisfied with the sound level you can install silencers in the lead pipes. Let us know if you would like to order the SW Turbo Chambered mufflers at a discount.

I talked to a gentleman at SW and he told me the system wouldn't work with what I have. He told me to call him back in a week or so for better answers. How is what he saying different than what you're offering? Sorry for the ignorance.

GotExhaust.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I talked to a gentleman at SW and he told me the system wouldn't work with what I have. He told me to call him back in a week or so for better answers. How is what he saying different than what you're offering? Sorry for the ignorance.

I'm sorry, what system are you referring to?

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
He has the Lightning Performance Connect exhaust with SW headers. So its a single muffler with two ins and two outs.

I am thinking of getting two resonators installed as I have the same setup as him. I read a post by SW prior to purchasing my setup that they did not offer any other muffler options on the Lightning Performance Connect setup as they would not work with it.

GotExhaust.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
He has the Lightning Performance Connect exhaust with SW headers. So its a single muffler with two ins and two outs.

I am thinking of getting two resonators installed as I have the same setup as him. I read a post by SW prior to purchasing my setup that they did not offer any other muffler options on the Lightning Performance Connect setup as they would not work with it.

I'm familiar with the setup, and yes the resonator muffler they use is 2 in 2 out and unlike any of their other mufflers off the shelf.

I was suggesting using (2) Turbo Chambered mufflers with some slight modification to the pipe if wanting to stick with SW products.

Otherwise, a "chambered" muffler in the traditional sense (e.g. Flowmaster, Magnaflow XL) would be the absolute worst choice to reduce drone and sound level.