Best tire pressure gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You want good stuff? Longacre makes great (professional grade) products

Tire pressure gauges:
Longacre Racing - Online Catalog: Electronic Wheel Scales, Gauges, Pyrometers, Chassis Setup and More!

How to Choose Your Tire Gauge

Things to think about when purchasing a quality tire gauge

PSI Range ~ The most important decision is to get a gauge that works within the pressure range of the tires that you will be using the gauge on. For example, if you run 30 psi in your tires then you should get a 60 psi gauge. If you run 15 psi then you should get a 30 psi gauge. All tire gauges work best in the middle of their range.

PSI Increments ~ PSI increments are another thing to consider when choosing the correct gauge. The finer the increments, the more accurate reading you will get.

Digital ~ Digital gauges are great, however the cheaper the sensor the less accurate the gauge is. With these gauges you get what you pay for.

Analog ~ Analog gauges are a great unit of measurement for the money. Normally, the bigger the face size the better the gauge is.

Face Size ~ The larger the tire gauge the more accurate it is, in most cases.

Hose Length ~ Longacre has 2 different hose lengths available, 14" and 17" for those hard to reach areas.

Chucks ~ Longacre has a swivel tire chuck and a standard non-swivel tire chuck. The swivel chuck is a very nice way to go. If the hose gets twisted up you can correct it with a swivel chuck

Holds Pressure ~ Do you need a gauge that when you check the pressure you can still read it when you pull it off the tire?

Bleeds air ~ All Longacre tire gauges will allow you to bleed off air when checking the tire pressure.

Protective Bumper ~ All Longacre tire gauges have a protective bumper.

GID Face or Backlight ~ Do you race at night or in a poorly lit pit area? If so maybe you need a GID (glow-in-the-dark) analog gauge or even maybe a backlit digital gauge.

Liquid Filled ~ Here is the scoop on liquid filled tire gauges. Liquid is used to soften the blow of air pressure when it enters the gauge. Just think, if you have 30 pounds of pressure then you have 30 pounds of pressure blasting the gears inside the gauge. That abrupt movement inside the gauge is what wears them out. However All Longacre tire gauges have a dampening system built into the gauge head that softens the blow of air pressure, therefore helping to protect the gears.

Case Included ~ The most important way to keep your gauge accurate is to keep it in a foam lined case. When your gauge is getting bounced around in your tool box while hauling it to the track or getting dropped, it will lose its accuracy. Keep your gauge in a case at all times when possible.

A couple of them on Amazon.com

41NPSiFczIL.jpg
Amazon.com: Longacre 50347 Digital Tire Gauge: Automotive

41MJNCY4KTL.jpg
Amazon.com: Longacre 50402 Deluxe Glow Tire Gauge: Automotive

Check out their other products:
Longacre Racing: Precision Racing Tools: Electronic Wheel Scales, Gauges, Pyrometers, Chassis Setup and More!

mudblood

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a longacre for a time. While it was very accurate it did not hold up well. Case started coming apart and hose cracked. Perhaps I just got a bad one as they were pretty popular along with Joe's racing gauges with folks at the drag strip.

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
Stellar

Wow already two pages and with pictures too, on best tire gauge! I bought a STELLAR tire gauge at the dollar store but I don't remember how much it cost :rotflmao:

teginder81

Reaction score
It's really hard to tell if you have an accurate gauge unless it's tested against a known reference source. There was a study where this was done, and it was all over the place. There was so much variation that there didn't seem to be a direct correlation between price or brand, with the exception of really high level equipment.

Glo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a pair Currie deflators and a set of Staun deflators ( actually 3 Stauns - and one Smitty Built copy after I lost a Staun) and they both great in different cases.

I would love to be able to find a deflator where you can EASILY select the desired pressure without having to manually set the deflators up.