Best option for steering rack replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dfinn

Reaction score
My steering rack is leaking and my shop is suggesting replacing it. It sounds like this is no longer available from Ford and reman is the only option. Is there a consensus on the best reman to go with? Anything else that should be done at the same time?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Most remans come with new tie rods and boots as a completed unit, so just a good fluid flush should be all you need if your pump is quiet already.

OP
OP
D

dfinn

Reaction score
OK, good to know, I'll see if that is an option.

My pump is actually whining quite a bit. The current theory is that the rack was leaking, it got low and the pump got some air in the system. The shop can't tell if the pump is good or not until the rack gets replaced so starting with that and going from there.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK, good to know, I'll see if that is an option.

My pump is actually whining quite a bit. The current theory is that the rack was leaking, it got low and the pump got some air in the system. The shop can't tell if the pump is good or not until the rack gets replaced so starting with that and going from there.
It’s also possible that a rack seal is leaking and actually allowing air to be drawn into the system. Be sure to closely examine the fluid quality; if there is debris, flush the system and replace the rack, pump, and reservoir all at the same time. The fluid filter is internal to the reservoir.

KazooG1Raptor

Reaction score
help - my boot has a weep of fluid and mechanic said I need a new rack. Can this one be fixed? If I need a new rack and pinion for my 2011 Raptor and Ford says they have NONE and don't know when they can get any. I am now looking at aftermarket but I don't know what model to get or brand to trust. Anyone got suggestions?