Best offroad GPS? Lowrance Elite 5M or HDS 7 or other?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
damn derailers ..... haha

since i just saw this thread, i figure i would share some info. i just got word that lowrance will be discontinuing the elite 5m and will be coming out with a new unit this fall. for those of you who want, and since i am becoming a lowrance dealer, might be able to pick up these units a bit cheaper since they will want to push their new product. i will have to wai for more info, but this is the word that i have heard.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Noah, we'll have to talk this weekend about that. Wife has said multiple times she wants to buy me one.

SVTBuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used MotionX for the south lake run and was relatively pleased with it. I should have downloaded a higher zoom level for some of the maps but even so I was able to follow the track and make all the turns.

I use the following IPad mount with a longer arm so the iPad sits lower on the center shelf of my '12 for better visibility.

Mount:
Amazon.com : RAM-B-166-TAB3U: RAM Suction Cup Twist Lock Mount with Tab-Tite Cradle for the Apple iPad, iPad 2, HP TouchPad : Touch Screen Tablet Computer Stands : Computers & Accessories

Longer arm:
Amazon.com: Long Double Socket Arm for 1" Ball Bases. Overall Length: 6": Electronics

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Some comments on this great topic:

* This subject has been covered in multiple threads on this forum especially the use of tablets and their mounts. Some of the threads are quite good so you may want to search for them until someone posts links to them here.

* Lowrance has had availability issues in the past leading some to wonder if they plan on continuing the product, continuing to support the product especially when faced (like all GPS makers) with massive competition from smart phones, tablets, phablets, etc. It sounds like they have a next gen in the works but...

* Cost. What exactly does the Lowrance do that the alternative solutions don't? Once that's determined, is it worth the additional cost to you? (each user's needs will vary)

* Will a tablet solution work well for you? You can use a tablet for many other tasks besides GPS once you stop driving your Raptor.

Personally I would prefer to go with a tablet solution and I'm sure it would be fine. I've off roaded with the factory Nav and a smaller Garmin display (with off road / topo downloaded on it) and a tablet solution would be way better than that.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Lowrance will lay more points per mile while making a track than any other GPS. If you're just following a track it isn't that big of a deal. However. Vs a tablet. A lowrances job is to be a GPS. Where a tablets main job is to check frf.

Touche...

More points would make a huge difference in certain situations too, say following an unfamiliar track at night.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Touche...

More points would make a huge difference in certain situations too, say following an unfamiliar track at night.

Yes. We have made track files with garmin handhelds before and racers were blowing corners.

What sucks about a lowrance. Is its a unitasker. Much like a radio you only use it Offroad. It offers no benefit on the pavement.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
That's true, but an Ipad with apple's nav is a great on-road substitute if you don't have factory navigation in your truck to back up the lowrance once you get back on the street.