Best offroad GPS? Lowrance Elite 5M or HDS 7 or other?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From a practical usability perspective when off road, what's the best solution ignoring price (this is how I start research). Then I evaluate if the price delta is enough.

The 5 series Lowance seem to have a really small screen but a big box. One could get the 7" or other tablet and it would block no more of the windshield but give a bigger screen. Does the Lowrance have especially good readability in the sun? Lowrance clearly has great maps. I'm happy to pay for them. Can I get them on a better screen? Also I have been planning to use an external antenna.

Lug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am interested in hearing the answers to these questions. I was also wondering what the difference between version one and two.

Last edited:

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had no problem with my 5m Baja in the Texas sun. I made my own mount so it sits lower.
Also it comes with the external antenna.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AZEngineer

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of iPADs in our family. I will be going out on my first desert run (half day) in a week or so. I think I'm going to try this Bluetooth external GPS antenna from Amazon for $94. It's well rated and improves the iPAD GPS accuracy. It gives 10 hours of wireless GPS via Bluetooth the iPAD.

Amazon.com: Dual Electronics XGPS150A Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver for Portable Devices: Electronics

I just bought MotionX HD GPS for the iPAD for $1.99. Crazy nice display. It's hard to think about dropping $600-1200 for a Lowrance until I ride with someone who has one. In the mean time I'll try the iPAD and external antenna.

The equivalent Lowrance setup looks to be like $2500.

SVTBuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to use my iPad and motionxmbut need to find a good mounting solution. I like how the RPG and outlaw Lowrance mounts attach but neither makes a mount for the iPad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cups

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Comments please:
One of the functions desired is ability to create/load files of the routes containing useful info from other experience or your own prerun. Is this only available in the Lorance units?

OP
OP
AZEngineer

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Comments please:
One of the functions desired is ability to create/load files of the routes containing useful info from other experience or your own prerun. Is this only available in the Lorance units?

I'm still researching but from what I've read MotionX GPS does breadcrumbs and more. I downloaded it for $1.99 and played with it a bit in the living room last night.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
I'm still researching but from what I've read MotionX GPS does breadcrumbs and more. I downloaded it for $1.99 and played with it a bit in the living room last night.

The reason everyone uses lowrance to prerun and make tracks is that it lays down so many more points per mile than any other GPS. Plus they're durable show up in the sunlight. Super accurate GPS.

As far as the different models. There isn't enough of a difference between the models for the casual user to tell. The only thing id want from an HDS that my elite doesn't have is range rings.

The hds require you to purchase a powered external antenna if you want to run one. The elite comes with a passive external antenna.

My next truck will have the elite on the driver side and an hds10 on the passenger.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the elite 5M baja on the outlaw mount and I've used it a lot! Used it at TRR last yea and this year and had no problem ever seeing the screen. I use it to plot hunting points a well. Ill mark the spots that have my game cams set up also spots that I see high numbers of game animals (hogs, deer) an of course ill map the route to those spots just in case I get lost haha happens in the middle of no where sometimes!

MrGreen33

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The hds require you to purchase a powered external antenna if you want to run one. The elite comes with a passive external antenna.

My next truck will have the elite on the driver side and an hds10 on the passenger.

Thanks TREYPAL!!

I c/p the description of the Elite...the highlighted text in yellow is what I am interested in...so there no need to buy an external antenna??
just double checking, because I think the answer is yes, just have not had it confirmed...

Elite 5m Baja Kit GPS

A new GPS - simple, affordable, similar to the Globalmap software with easy to use menu's and almost identical software. Easy-to-use menus with Advanced Mode to expand features selection. An all-new case/mounting design provides for easy one-hand tilt/swivel view adjustment, removal and re-install - even fits same cut-out for previous 5 in./7 cm models for in-dash installations.

5 inch 480x480 pixel SolarMAX™ 256-color TFT display
Internal 16-channel GPS antenna AND includes External GPS Antenna!
Built-in background mapping/charting
Built-in memory allows for up to 3,000 waypoints, up to 10,000 points per trail
Uses Micro SD Cards - SD Card and Mounting Bracket sold separately