Bent tie rods from minor rut G3 2022

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

metroman

Reaction score
I don't disagree with the current quality being sub par. I almost smash my driver door panel daily because of rattles and creaks that I can't get to the root cause, and I have plenty of other small issues with my '23. But the tie rod should be 100% on the driver, we have no idea what angle he hit that at combined with moderate speed, and clearly got bound up, something has to give.
They both bent inwards. I don’t see how any approach angle issues bends both rods inward.

OP
OP
M

metroman

Reaction score
Thats some pretty significant bending... Seems unlikely if the facts given were true and correct
Nope. Facts are correct. It happened. Both sides bent as pictured. I was in 4H off-road mode. Guys I spoke to at shop in So Cal have seen this 5 times on Gen 3.

OP
OP
M

metroman

Reaction score
I wonder if the truck toes out much at full compression. If it were to be toed out enough, a hard square edge hit from front on while bottomed out would act to try and straighten the wheels out due to caster which would push inward in a way that could possibly do this.

Yup. There’s a whole thread on the shock clunk. There’s a SSM that covers a lot of 21 and 22 trucks making clunking noises. Sounds like a golf ball rolling around in the bed or something over small chatter. The first time I noticed it I thought my bed had come loose since I’ve had that happen before and it sounded similar. Hard to say if functionality is truly impacted by it and no word on what the culprit is that I’ve seen.

In regards to tire pressure, I can’t be bothered to air down unless I’m going to be off pavement for more than a full day. Airing back up just takes too long. So usually pressure is 38 psi.
whats a SSM ?

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nope. Facts are correct. It happened. Both sides bent as pictured. I was in 4H off-road mode. Guys I spoke to at shop in So Cal have seen this 5 times on Gen 3.
Bro, just accept that you don't know how to drive, and that all Gen 3s are bulletproof in other driver's hands. :rolleyes:

You can gloat when Ford releases a new part number for the 37s trucks next year.

Reminds me of when the plasitic oil pans kept leaking in the 2017s. The 2017 owners said no- it's not a design flaw, it's just bad RTV sealing. Many had the pan resealed more than once. I predicted in one of the half dozen massive threads about it that Ford would go back to aluminum pans, and sure as shit they did.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Reminds me of when the plasitic oil pans kept leaking in the 2017s. The 2017 owners said no- it's not a design flaw, it's just bad RTV sealing. Many had the pan resealed more than once. I predicted in one of the half dozen massive threads about it that Ford would go back to aluminum pans, and sure as shit they did.

The thing about the plastic pans was not the part itself, it was the fact that it was an OBTUSE repair because if the factory installed it wrong, chances are you weren’t going to get a successful repair. Because Ford only allowed so much time for the repair- which didn’t cover the full amount of time it took to repair the leaky pan correctly.

I think the plastic pan was more of an engineering and QA failure on Ford’s part. they probably got the test mules which were almost certainly not assembled on the line we get our trucks on, ran the $hit out of them, and said “see? these plastic pans are great !” But between there and the assembly line they botched a small number of pan installs. The number was not that great, but, the number of pan repairs that didn’t work was great. That, and Ford made this a PITA for anyone in that situation because all they would install was another plastic pan, which was almost certainly doomed to fail because the repair procedure was almost never done correctly.

Last I heard they were STILL replacing plastic with plastic. We’re 5 years since the part was replaced...
<knock wood> still rocking the plastic pan. it still doesn’t leak.

Has anyone else here in the Jen Tres crew done in their tie rods?

taquitos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whats a SSM ?
Special service message. Easiest way I’ve found to check the shocks is lay under the rear bumper and quickly push it up and down. The shock clunk is not subtle on the trucks that have it.

If the aftermarket tie rods are 7/8” diameter, they’d be about 66% stronger than the stock ones when it comes to buckling like seen here. Potentially took about 5200 lbs to buckle the stock tie rod assuming it was straight to begin with. So aftermarket tie rods would put you at 8600 lbs before buckle. Who knows how the steering rack would handle that. Also aluminum tie rods will snap as opposed to bend. I’d take weaker steel ones over that personally. Since both tie rods buckled there’s a chance that net load on the rack was minimal. It can handle a lot more if both ends are in compression as opposed to just one.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not to pile on but as others have said 40psi are you ********, that is over the recommend. 32 for off roading, still nuts.

If you off road as much as you say then you should invest in a CO2 tank at minimum. I can air up all 4 in 2 minutes.

I run 20 psi off road, just did a 400 mile off road run.

I have in the past run 30-40 miles on asphalt at 70+ mph with 20 psi,( to tired/lazy at the moment )to get home, no ill effects.

There are a couple things that are not quite adding up in my mind.