Bent tie rods from minor rut G3 2022

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sucks that it happened. Guessing just a bad mixture of 4wd, torque to the front wheels at the time it hit the little wash and the high tire pressure. If the tie rods are weak thats a good way to find out i suppose. I would order some RPG tie rods and not look back.

Last edited:

Sig Fanboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sucks that it happened. Guessing just a bad mixture of 4wd, torque to the front wheels at the time it hit the little wash and the high tire pressure. If the tie rods are weak thats a good way to find out i suppose. I would order some RPG tie rods and not look back.
That does suck. But as Ford Tech pointed out, if he had have beefy tie rod ends the force would have moved to the next weakest link, likely the steering rack. Thankfully we have had no issues with our Gen 3, probably because it’s a complete garage queen on 37’s.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That does suck. But as Ford Tech pointed out, if he had have beefy tie rod ends the force would have moved to the next weakest link, likely the steering rack. Thankfully we have had no issues with our Gen 3, probably because it’s a complete garage queen on 37’s.
Right. Who knows if that would have damaged the steering rack. Risk you take I suppose.

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score

edit, sig beat me

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. People damage their trucks and then scream “lemon”. It takes a massive amount of force in a very specific location to bend a tie rod like that, it’s not a defect. Something had to absorb that impact, if it wasn’t the tie rods it would have destroyed the steering rack.
This is what scares me about upgrading to billet tie rods…. What else becomes the weak link once you stiffen the tie rod, steering rack!

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I'm pretty dumb, but it looks like a steering rack to me. Isn't the tie rod just female threads to the right of the nut?

Screenshot_20230814_175744_Chrome.jpg

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i run 25psi in the desert.. you want the tire as well as the suspension to absorb the terrain.. 40psi even on the street is ridiculous..

i have RPG full tie rods, and haven't had any issues with breaking anything.. plenty of off road driving, snow, sand, desert..

I mostly got them for the bling.. i was just gonna get the half outer tie rod, you really cant even see the half outer unless you get under there..

it does not take long to change an inner on the trail, provided there is a spare available...

really, if youre gonna off road your truck, these things are kind of expected, and if you search this forum there has been plenty of bent inner tie rod issues. im very surprised they'd even mention covering it, i bet they are going to eat it later..

taquitos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i run 25psi in the desert.. you want the tire as well as the suspension to absorb the terrain.. 40psi even on the street is ridiculous..

i have RPG full tie rods, and haven't had any issues with breaking anything.. plenty of off road driving, snow, sand, desert..

I mostly got them for the bling.. i was just gonna get the half outer tie rod, you really cant even see the half outer unless you get under there..

it does not take long to change an inner on the trail, provided there is a spare available...

really, if youre gonna off road your truck, these things are kind of expected, and if you search this forum there has been plenty of bent inner tie rod issues. im very surprised they'd even mention covering it, i bet they are going to eat it later..
If you wouldn’t mind, what’s the diameter of the RPG tie rods in the middle? I’m curious how they compare strength wise on paper. Would maybe shed some light on steering rack strength concerns.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randigitty