Bed cover recommendations - cold climates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
allinon72

allinon72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's another thing I like about it - 4 9/16" bolts and it's out. No reason to remove the rails unless your cargo requires it.

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You will like the X4! I had the X2 for 4 winters in Michigan and occasionally the only problem I had was after washing it some water gets in the long locking mechanisms channel and it would freeze. When frozen it won’t slide out of the way so you can’t roll it up and you don’t want to force it. A heated garage or a heat gun was the only fix, I never looked into any grease or a similar freeze inhibitor since it only happened 1 or 2 times a winter.

If you go to the car wash a lot it may be a bigger issue. I went to a self spray wash and was carful not to blast the edges of the cover so as to limit the issue.

OP
OP
allinon72

allinon72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted something with the lowest profile possible and that allowed full access to the bed quickly - Diamondback looks nice but it's about as opposite to my needs as you can get haha.

SS308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the BAK Flip MX4. Works great for our Wyoming winters. I can use my whole bed and if I want to remove, 2 Wing nuts and it's off.

OP
OP
allinon72

allinon72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the X4 installed today - obviously we're a long way off from testing winter conditions, but I've got what's looking like a very wet 4 hour drive coming up where I can at least test it's waterproofness.

Install was pretty straightforward, although I had to make more adjustments than I expected to get the tailgate to actually hit the seal on the bed cover.

20190613_164123.jpg

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Got the X4 installed today - obviously we're a long way off from testing winter conditions, but I've got what's looking like a very wet 4 hour drive coming up where I can at least test it's waterproofness.

Install was pretty straightforward, although I had to make more adjustments than I expected to get the tailgate to actually hit the seal on the bed cover.

View attachment 124751
Do the rails lie above the tailgate when it closes?

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ty. My cover was on my Platinum and I removed it when traded. I did not recall how they were and when I installed it on Raptor they were in the way of the tailgate closing. I wound up, stupidly I think, cutting them shorter by about half inch.

Swacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I use a vinyl gator cover. Significantly cheaper than many of the options listed previously, and it does fine through PA winters every year. I put some UV treatment on it every couple months, and the bed stays dry. Heck, I could probably replace mine 3-4 times over before I get to the price of some of these hard covers.