Beach fun turned sour. Rear differential/parking brake malfunction.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ATRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't help if you are going hard. Even if you turn it off, everything turns back on over 45mph, and its not hard to get wheel speed over 45mph.

Same issues on dyno. If your rear wheel speed differs from your front wheel speed, the computers get angry.

You're partially correct- if you have 'advanced trac' off it doesn't kick back on after 45mph. The dash will light up like a Christmas tree but once the truck moves again after coming off the dyno everything goes back to normal.

I dyno these and other F150s almost daily.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I thought Baja mode is not for low speeds.

Speed is dictated by the front wheels. In this case, the OP's front wheels were going slow, and the rear wheels were spinning fast. the computer thinks he is out of control and is fighting to regain traction in the rear wheels.

being in 4 high in sand stops this problem, turning off traction control helps a lot as well.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If your tires are spinning traction control is trying to keep them from spinning by applying the brakes on individual rear wheels. 4 hi and traction control off is best for sand . 4lo is better as it is less load on transmission but your speed will be reduced.

This.

With 20 years of driving in sand, I concur.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You're partially correct- if you have 'advanced trac' off it doesn't kick back on after 45mph. The dash will light up like a Christmas tree but once the truck moves again after coming off the dyno everything goes back to normal.

I dyno these and other F150s almost daily.

I shouldnt have posted the dyno comment as it is a separate issues, which yes, goes away when all wheels move the same again.

The truck still doesnt like it with high speed wheelspin and slip angle. Im talking 80+ mph drifts. Shut everything off and it doesnt matter, it will still throw coeds to the point you have to disconnect the battery and reset it. It has happened to me multiple times on snow and dirt.

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/thr...-furthur-defeat-the-electrical-nannies.67541/

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've done this as well. If you leave in 2wd and unlocked rear end with trac control on---then the trac control tries to stop one wheel peel by applying the opposite brake. After so many brake applications the motor gets hot and quits. As soon as it cools down it's cool. always use the mechanical rear end lock not the electric one (brake trac control)

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can a tune enable you to completely turn off traction control and advancetrac?

Had similar issues w/ GM trucks & stability control coming back on after 40 or whatever, sucks when you’re off-road in 2wd, on the GMs I believe the traction control can be completely disabled in 4hi not sure about stability control.

On the performance cars these days I don’t think ANY of em can be driven completely “naked” in any mode. Makes me appreciate my “old school” C5 Z06- last vette you could completely turn all the nannies off in....although you better be operating w/ plenty of open space/margin for error if you do.

OP
OP
Braden

Braden

Reaction score
I get the same warnings in Baja 2H and 4H! It could be a bad speed Sensor in the rear.. my dealer claims it's a bad update... so time will tell. I have had it happen 4 different times and then it goes away.

Did you have advanced traction control turned off?

If I remember right they said the BDU needed updating... I could be totally wrong

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

I only put it in Baja mode. I touched nothing else. I guess I am putting a little too much trust in the electronics of this truck. I was going from crawling in sand to going 60+ without swapping modes and wanting to keep in 2wd with the stability of the traction control systems

I love this forum. You guys know a lot. There is no way I would have gotten this information from a dealership. Information like this is extremely hard to find. Knowing your truck makes it a lot better to drive. I'm gathering I should be swapping modes for each situation? and I guess not go mud crawling in 2WD when I can help it. In 4WD unlocked it was just too easy. I wanted it to be slightly more challenging.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Funny thing... In the run up to the Raptor being released to the press pool, before any of us got our grubby little hands on ours, there were videos out there of people cutting up in 2wd in the sand doing huge donuts with respectable rooster tails, repeatedly. Nary a mention of nanny interference. hmm...

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny thing... In the run up to the Raptor being released to the press pool, before any of us got our grubby little hands on ours, there were videos out there of people cutting up in 2wd in the sand doing huge donuts with respectable rooster tails, repeatedly. Nary a mention of nanny interference. hmm...

Like this??....

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yes, like that except some of them were from Ford - when they announced the power numbers.