Beach fun turned sour. Rear differential/parking brake malfunction.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Braden

Reaction score
I was having some fun with my 2019 with 802a on the beach. I had it in 2H in Baja mode. Differential unlocked. (Can't lock in 2H) I was enjoying 2H trying to put the truck to the test and was thoroughly impressed at the trucks ability to crawl through the deep sand in 2H. I noticed in the mirror that both tires were spinning as the truck was crawling along with the traction control light blinking. I was pretty impressed....until every light on the dash lit up. I got a parking break malfunction, rear differential malfunction, powertrain malfunction, advance track disabled, cruise control disabled. I'm now freaking out thinking I just broke my truck somehow. I put it in 4H (it engaged) got it to a safe place and started googling coming up with nothing. Finally turned it off and back on and everything lit back up in alarm.....until I started moving and everything cleared and the truck seemed to do fine the rest of the day. That made me lose some confidence in my truck though. Any ideas? Attached a screenshot of my Ford pass app. Doesn't exactly match the dash alarms, but kinda close.

Screenshot_20190902-142245_FordPass.jpg

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
@xrocket21 isn’t this similar to malfunctions you’ve gotten due to electronic nannies going crazy?

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If your tires are spinning traction control is trying to keep them from spinning by applying the brakes on individual rear wheels. 4 hi and traction control off is best for sand . 4lo is better as it is less load on transmission but your speed will be reduced.

waveslayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get the same warnings in Baja 2H and 4H! It could be a bad speed Sensor in the rear.. my dealer claims it's a bad update... so time will tell. I have had it happen 4 different times and then it goes away.

Did you have advanced traction control turned off?

If I remember right they said the BDU needed updating... I could be totally wrong

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nanny software. Turn traction control completely off.

Doesn't help if you are going hard. Even if you turn it off, everything turns back on over 45mph, and its not hard to get wheel speed over 45mph.

Same issues on dyno. If your rear wheel speed differs from your front wheel speed, the computers get angry.