Baja Mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Megabass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah me too! It’s happened twice, mash the throttle from a dead stop looking to turn and nothing but a pissed off driver and and a horn solo spelling out my inability to get out of my own way!

Maybe you guys are being limited by tc

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lots of misinfo here, so let's clear it up.

There are three on-road modes in our trucks, and three off-road modes.

On-road modes:
  • Normal
  • Sport
  • Weather
Offroad modes:
  • Mud/Sand
  • Baja
  • Rock/Crawl

Sport mode is the Baja mode for pavement, and vice versa. Traction control, braking, throttle response, shifting parameters, and more are all adjusted for traction considerations. Both Sport mode and Baja mode try to keep you in your power band, and the turbos spooled.

Now, if you step on it when you don't have boost, yeah you're going to get nothing - same if you have no traction, in which case I've found (in both sport and baja mode) will cut power so you'll get bite. You can of course override this, but you'll get axle hop, increase tire wear doing so, and risk your rear end sliding around.

If you want tail drift in Baja mode, 4wd locked will allow plenty of sling while retaining great control - also allowing a lot more power to be put down. The only time Baja 2H is faster is when you're going slower around very sharp turns, where you can't throw your momentum around to start the oversteer, and using 4H would cause understeer. However, in most instances the acceleration gained from 4H outweighs the speed gained cornering in 2H (not to mention tire wear).

DEGBTI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just FYI, went to "Baja" last weekend and played with different modes. Baja mode revs way to much, 6K rpm before it will shift in some cases. The best mode hands down is Mud/sand. It was amazing how it transformed the truck to the next level. bad ass!

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
just FYI, went to "Baja" last weekend and played with different modes. Baja mode revs way to much, 6K rpm before it will shift in some cases. The best mode hands down is Mud/sand. It was amazing how it transformed the truck to the next level. bad ass!

I generally like Mud/Sand the best too. Baja with paddles is actually really good, but it is A LOT to keep track of.

guernsej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I generally like Mud/Sand the best too. Baja with paddles is actually really good, but it is A LOT to keep track of.

I agree, with the caveat that sometimes it takes too long to process the shift and you end up bouncing off the rev limiter a bit.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I agree, with the caveat that sometimes it takes too long to process the shift and you end up bouncing off the rev limiter a bit.

you’re probably being to aggressive and not realistic enough with your gear selection.

ex: If I come of an exit ramp to an interstate, I really --want-- Lucille in 3rd gear. Unfortunately for both of us, if I nail it as I’m straightening the wheel, we run out of rpms too fast and I bang the limiter sometimes. However, if I exit the ramp in 4th I get supreme drive and am able to smoothly place myself and Lucille in our rightful place in front of the multiple hypermiling priussies inevitably stationed just before the ramp, accelerating from the shoulder in unison to attempt to block my interstate speed progress with a wall of 10-15mph under the limit nitwits.

it takes practice to work with, but has it’s place. people get obsessed over the 10 gears, you’re really not that concerned about all 10 unless you’re being shot at.

murph145

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So when i go play in the dirt I usually put it in Sport with TC off and paddles.

What would be the benefit of using Baja or Mud/Sand mode?

DEGBTI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So when i go play in the dirt I usually put it in Sport with TC off and paddles.

What would be the benefit of using Baja or Mud/Sand mode?

mud/sand mode is amazing, totally changes the way the truck reacts in the dirt. At least for the two trucks on our trip. This was with T/C off. Twisty fast roads all the way down to climbing whooped out hills. RPM range is spot on.