Back-Up Cameras Work in "Reverse," Then Don't Show Ahead / Forward After Selecting "Drive?"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Then you didn’t configure it in sync. Rocking a ’17 here and was lucky enough that some other user dropped that clueful information on us back then. it works thusly:

You put the truck in reverse and the camera activates, you shift to drive and the camera stays on until you exceed 3 or 6 mph I think and the screen reverts to normal.
But does your front camera and 360 activate when you put it in drive like the o.p states his does? My 2017 and 2019 never did that. My 2022 will turn the front camera on if the front sensors detect an object at slow speeds.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I'm a few days into my 2022 and am experiencing a difference after I put the truck in reverse, where the front facing cameras don't automatically come onto the screen like my 2017 (it would stay that way until I shifted out of Drive -or- moved forward faster than 5 mph or so).

But does your front camera and 360 activate when you put it in drive like the o.p states his does? My 2017 and 2019 never did that. My 2022 will turn the front camera on if the front sensors detect an object at slow speeds.

@Antho: I don’t think that’s what OP said. I brought his/her post back, emphasis mine. i think the key here is “after I put the truck in reverse”.

So to answer your question, yes, my 2017 retains the 360 camera as OP describes.
1) engage reverse, cameras activate on sync screen.
2) skillfully backup, impressing my wife with my keen abilities to back it in
3) engage drive because, why not give her a little more room on her side to get out
4) cameras remain active as I drive forward and rearward again, scoring bonus husband points.
5) engage park, cameras off.

I definitely cannot honestly take credit for this gem, some more experienced user showed it to me back in ’17, and it was one of the first updates I made to our 2020 Lincoln in the sync settings.

HTH

hapijohn

Reaction score
Regardless of drive mode. Rear cameras should come in when you are in reverse.

Front cameras only come on if you press the button to turn them on or you engage rock crawl mode.

If you 2017 did otherwise you had a bonus feature.
Forward camera will turn on and stay on in Baja mode as well.

OP
OP
scoresman903

scoresman903

Reaction score
My 21 turns on the front camera after backing as did my 19. It will prevent you from running over your dog when you go forward.
Yes, I could swear my 2017 did that as well (the birdseye view stayed on). But it's gone now so there's no way to confirm.

AutoXRacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score

On the 2022 MY, the front camera only activates if the sensors sense an object....like when you are inching forward towards a wall, another vehicle, object, etc.
It will also activate in BAJA mode.
And if you manually activate it through the camera button / menu.

But the reverse camera will not stay on after shifting out of reverse...why? Pointless as you are no longer backing up. Again, you can turn it on manually.
My 360 view always displays on reverse or when the front camera activates due to proximity of an obstacle.

pandonsf

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the 2022 MY, the front camera only activates if the sensors sense an object....like when you are inching forward towards a wall, another vehicle, object, etc.

But the reverse camera will not stay on after shifting out of reverse...why? Pointless as you are no longer backing up. Again, you can turn it on manually.
My 360 view always displays on reverse or when the front camera activates due to proximity of an obstacle.
There's a setting under the vehicle settings to leave the reverse camera and 360 cam on for a few seconds after shifting out of reverse. I want to get the front camera to turn on for a bit once shifting into drive after reversing but haven't been able to figure that out

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I understand it the same as you!
There's a setting under the vehicle settings to leave the reverse camera and 360 cam on for a few seconds after shifting out of reverse. I want to get the front camera to turn on for a bit once shifting into drive after reversing but haven't been able to figure that out
I seriously have to dig into these settings. But for me, 99.9% of the time I back in to a space, my garage, or whatever and turn the truck off. So when I pull out (no pun intended), no cameras are needed. I will take a look into this for my reference.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In my 2017, the rear camera and birds-eye came on in Reverse. If I put the 2017 into Drive, the front cameras (actually, front came on and birds-eye stayed on; no cameras when I shift the 2022 into Drive).

I checked the sync menu, see attached photo of menu, found the menu item smurfslayer suggested, and turned the delay feature on. It does keep the rear camera and birds-eye on, which is helpful - thanks!View attachment 354016
Looking at your screenshot, Autohold…turn that on. Nice feature.