GEN 2 Aux Switch wiring when over fuse Amperage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

Alford78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. Thanks guys!!!!! This is how I thought it needed to be done but wanted to see it somewhere and you guys nailed it.

I really like how the other set of pass-through dead wires are located right there by the fuse panel too. Very nice of Ford to do that. I’ll use those for RGB lighting if ever get any fancy LEDs and use one for the amber back lights of the Rigid Radiance series as running lights. There’s a kit that comes with a wire with a plug on it for the fuse panel which makes it’s super simple (plug-n-play).

Many thanks guys!!!!!

Bests
Alex

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Confusing isn’t it? No offense to Car Stereo Company intended. The way MNFlyer recommends is the way that I've always used relays. Meaning terminal 85 is ground.

If you want to see grown (??) men argue take a look at this thread: https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/backup-lights.52290/page-7

The explanation that Crash457 gives in the above thread re grounding is the same as MNFlyer’s, except that a five terminal relay is used for the backup lights since they are wired for two power sources (backup light switch OR aux switch).

Enjoy...it’s not that hard.

If you want to buy a pre wired relay, Tony Candella will build one for you using any wire
length, wire gauge and wire color that you specify. I go to Tony for all of my wiring needs. His books on automotive wiring are very good. He also answers the phone :)

https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/individual-components/relays-and-solenoids/
85 and 86 can be switched. it doesnt matter as long as there is power on one side and ground on the other to acivate the relay. 87 and 30 can be switched as well in this application since its being used as a spst setup. when the relay is activated 87a and 30 become common so in a spdt setup, wiring orientation would come into play.

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, sorry for the delay. The one place in town where cell service sucks bad enough you can’t upload a picture .....

2f0082110ec5fcdd16e9b99679b531a1.jpg

2bbc9ada0b865836129674cfda01cc95.jpg

Your relay will look something like that.

The red line to 86 is from the aux switch. When you flip the aux switch power flows into the relay at 86 and activates a solenoid that closes a circuit between 30 and 87. Line 30 is from the battery, put a fuse in that line appropriate for your wire size. Line 87 is the line to the lights. You will see some relays that have a line 87a. Line 87a is a normally closed (NC) line meaning with your aux switch off there would be power flowing through line 87a, you don’t want that. If you buy a relay with line 87a that is fine, just don’t connect that line to anything. There are relays that don’t have 87a as well.

You will have to mount the relay somewhere in the engine compartment. You could attach it to the top of the fuse box near the window on the passenger side.

Wire size and fuse rating

16 AWG = 10 amps

14 AWG = 15 amps

12 AWG = 20 amps

10 AWG = 35 amps

Remember, the fuse is to protect the wire not the appliance connected to it. Most relays are rated for 30 amps or so, should be more than plenty for any single light setup. If the relay is labeled 30/40 amps that have line 87a.

Relay here

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBAO1SA/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Those are nice since the fuse is built in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

^^^THIS^^^, relays are your friend, I use them almost every day for various projects. If you need to carry a larger load, Bosch makes relays up to 100 amps.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Wow. Thanks guys!!!!! This is how I thought it needed to be done but wanted to see it somewhere and you guys nailed it.

I really like how the other set of pass-through dead wires are located right there by the fuse panel too. Very nice of Ford to do that. I’ll use those for RGB lighting if ever get any fancy LEDs and use one for the amber back lights of the Rigid Radiance series as running lights. There’s a kit that comes with a wire with a plug on it for the fuse panel which makes it’s super simple (plug-n-play).

Many thanks guys!!!!!

Bests
Alex

Ok, please explain what are the pass through dead wires.

MnFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, please explain what are the pass through dead wires.
There are 2 sets of 6 wires under the hood. One set is connected to the aux switches and are “hot” when the switch is on.

The other set, they are color coded the same as the hot set, pass through the firewall and are behind the the kick plate in the passenger side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Consider installing either Deutsch or Weatherpack six position connectors on each of the wire bundles.

This is what I did: The aux and the pass through wires are small gauge and short. I soldered a foot or so of 14 gauge wire to each, crimped on Deutsch 14 solid connectors, then put a Deutsch six position plug on each set of wires. All twelve of my wires are now plug in ready to connect up to whatever.

sixshooter_45

Reaction score
Consider installing either Deutsch or Weatherpack six position connectors on each of the wire bundles.

This is what I did: The aux and the pass through wires are small gauge and short. I soldered a foot or so of 14 gauge wire to each, crimped on Deutsch 14 solid connectors, then put a Deutsch six position plug on each set of wires. All twelve of my wires are now plug in ready to connect up to whatever.

Like this one?

Deutsch DTM Series, 6-Position Female Plug
MDP-6B-web.jpg

sixshooter_45

Reaction score
There are 2 sets of 6 wires under the hood. One set is connected to the aux switches and are “hot” when the switch is on.

The other set, they are color coded the same as the hot set, pass through the firewall and are behind the the kick plate in the passenger side.

Thanks. I totally understand the Aux switch wires. But the pass through not so much.

I found this video but it also falls short of explaining how these pass through wires may be utilized.

Are they tied into the fuse box in the panel? If so then they are hot correct?

I could use a multimeter and figure it out I suppose.

MnFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I totally understand the Aux switch wires. But the pass through not so much.

I found this video but it also falls short of explaining how these pass through wires may be utilized.

Are they tied into the fuse box in the panel? If so then they are hot correct?

I could use a multimeter and figure it out I suppose.
No sir. They are simply pass through wires.

I have AUX6 hooked up to a kit a member here supplies that opens the tailgate. That kit uses a relay you wire into the body control module (BCM) in the Kursk plate on the pax side.

You could wire up a VHF radio to an AUX switch via those pass through cables. Reverse lights or dust lights could have their power run from the bed through a grommet in the floor to those pass through wires. Interior accent lighting, etc.

The possibilities are only limited by your imagination.