GEN 2 Aux Switch wiring when over fuse Amperage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alford78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How to handle a lighting situation when the light draws more amps than the switch is fused at?

Any and all help please.

Bests
Alex

OP
OP
A

Alford78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
use a relay to power the light

Can you elaborate on the process please?

Bests

Edit just to be clear I still want to use the Aux switch that’s where I’m unsure on the relay. Just use the remote wire out of relay to the wire in the engine bay referenced to which Aux switch I want to use?

Last edited:

MnFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on the process please?

Bests

Edit just to be clear I still want to use the Aux switch that’s where I’m unsure on the relay. Just use the remote wire out of relay to the wire in the engine bay referenced to which Aux switch I want to use?

The relay will use the AUX switch to activate power. Power will go from the battery to the relay.

I’ll get you a diagram here in a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

Alford78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The relay will use the AUX switch to activate power. Power will go from the battery to the relay.

I’ll get you a diagram here in a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok. Kool. Thank you!

I think I understand just confusing throwing the extra fuse in the mix that the Aux switch has OEM.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you look at a relay you will see 4 or 5 terminals coming off it depending on if its a spdt or spst. doesnt matter wich one you use in this application. the terminals are numbered. put 85 as power from the aux switch. 86 goes to ground. 87 will go to the battery through a fused line. and 30 will go out to the light. if you have a spdt relay, the middle terminal wont be used. (87a)

MnFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. Kool. Thank you!

I think I understand just confusing throwing the extra fuse in the mix that the Aux switch has OEM.
Ok, sorry for the delay. The one place in town where cell service sucks bad enough you can’t upload a picture .....

2f0082110ec5fcdd16e9b99679b531a1.jpg

2bbc9ada0b865836129674cfda01cc95.jpg

Your relay will look something like that.

The red line to 86 is from the aux switch. When you flip the aux switch power flows into the relay at 86 and activates a solenoid that closes a circuit between 30 and 87. Line 30 is from the battery, put a fuse in that line appropriate for your wire size. Line 87 is the line to the lights. You will see some relays that have a line 87a. Line 87a is a normally closed (NC) line meaning with your aux switch off there would be power flowing through line 87a, you don’t want that. If you buy a relay with line 87a that is fine, just don’t connect that line to anything. There are relays that don’t have 87a as well.

You will have to mount the relay somewhere in the engine compartment. You could attach it to the top of the fuse box near the window on the passenger side.

Wire size and fuse rating

16 AWG = 10 amps

14 AWG = 15 amps

12 AWG = 20 amps

10 AWG = 35 amps

Remember, the fuse is to protect the wire not the appliance connected to it. Most relays are rated for 30 amps or so, should be more than plenty for any single light setup. If the relay is labeled 30/40 amps that have line 87a.

Relay here

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBAO1SA/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Those are nice since the fuse is built in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Confusing isn’t it? No offense to Car Stereo Company intended. The way MNFlyer recommends is the way that I've always used relays. Meaning terminal 85 is ground.

If you want to see grown (??) men argue take a look at this thread: https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/backup-lights.52290/page-7

The explanation that Crash457 gives in the above thread re grounding is the same as MNFlyer’s, except that a five terminal relay is used for the backup lights since they are wired for two power sources (backup light switch OR aux switch).

Enjoy...it’s not that hard.

If you want to buy a pre wired relay, Tony Candella will build one for you using any wire
length, wire gauge and wire color that you specify. I go to Tony for all of my wiring needs. His books on automotive wiring are very good. He also answers the phone :)

https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/individual-components/relays-and-solenoids/