Audio/ Video upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harblar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I was looking at Birdman's sub install and there seems to be a remote turn on wire on the factory sub harness. Apparently it's only 5v, but wouldn't it be easy enough to just hook that up to a relay? 5v trips the relay which in turn sends a 12v signal to the amps. With the wire being right where the factory sub is, it'd be very simple to tap into right there and also tap the main 12v power from the battery to the amps.

That's what I'm planning anyway... Unless I'm misunderstanding what that 5v wire is. Please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Harblar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can probably use it, but you might need a tr7 as a LVT.

By TR7, do you mean this?

And if so, this would probably do everything you would need in one package. According to the diagram in the instructions it can be hooked straight to a + speaker lead in the absence of an actual remote turn on wire. Seems like you could just mount this right next to the amp (processor, etc... depending on your install needs) and be done with it, assuming your setup doesn't require more than 2a to turn on your gear (then all you would need is a basic 12 volt relay in addtion to it). No messing with trying to run extra wires and tap into the fuse panel, etc...

In fact, I got to looking and the TR4 is just the Low Voltage Trigger part of the TR7 for less than half the price. $10-$15... Wham, Bam, Done!

I don't know. To me this seems like a no-brainer. Surprised no one has done it before... which, of course, immediately makes me think I'm missing something pretty simple that I haven't realized yet.

Well, when I finally get around to tackling my audio system, I'll give it a go, see what happens, and report back. Worst case scenario I just have to run a long wire up to the fuse box, I guess. :biggrin:

OP
OP
Frank L

Frank L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on the truck you have there seems to be some variation in amp placement for the sub. I have a screw and all that comes through the floor are speaker wires no other wires at all...

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the tr7 can work as a relay, but you need to get power to it as well. which means you have to run a power wire anyways. i guess if retaining the subwoofer when the key is off is that important, then go for it. but i have learned from experience, the longer you run the system without your alternator spinning, the quicker you shorten the life of your battery.

Harblar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on the truck you have there seems to be some variation in amp placement for the sub. I have a screw and all that comes through the floor are speaker wires no other wires at all...

I haven't actually looked at my factory sub very closely, yet. Just going off from what I've seen on other threads.

the tr7 can work as a relay, but you need to get power to it as well. which means you have to run a power wire anyways. i guess if retaining the subwoofer when the key is off is that important, then go for it. but i have learned from experience, the longer you run the system without your alternator spinning, the quicker you shorten the life of your battery.

Seeing as I'd be installing it next to the new sub/speaker amps, I wouldn't think finding some power to tap into would be very difficult or require the running of a separate power wire (other than the main power wire from the battery). Everything could be mounted up to an amp rack on the back wall and easily run off a distribution block... Nice and neat.

It's not that I spend or plan on spending a lot of time running the amps with the engine/key off. It's more that I just want that option, because that is how the factory system works and that is how I want the custom system to work as well.

Heh... Did some more reading... I plan on using the Rockfrod Fosgate 3sixty.3 as my processor/summing device. Turns out the remote turn on for this processor accepts 4v-16v. It also provides 12v out for the amps. Guess I wouldn't need the tr7/tr4 after all. Hahaha oh well. :rolleyes:

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
correct, most sound processing/summing units provide an amp turn on wire. but if you are not going to use one and just add an amp and sub, thats when this would be used