Any reason to replace Sony sound processor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys, have a 2013 that originally came with the full Sony system. Currently have a Phoenix Automotive PX6 Android 9 head unit (with custom firmware), Focal midrange speakers in the front doors with the Focal tweeters in the stock location, Focal components in the rear doors, 12" JL shallow mount subwoofer in the matching truck wedge box with an NVX Class-D 500w amp, and a line converter tied into both front speakers to feed the signal to the subwoofer as well as a remote bass knob.

I'm very happy with the setup and am possibly wondering if it would be worth replacing the stock Sony sound processor with some sort of aftermarket setup. From what I've read it would allow individual control over speaker adjustment as well as the ability to separately amplify the speakers, but I'm unsure if someone such as myself who just wants something "decent" would find the value in spending the time and money to set it up.

I am also wondering if there's any other audio/video upgrades that might be worth it too as I have considered possibly setting up some sort of rear seat entertainment system (headrest screens or possibly just tablet mounts).

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there is no stock sound processor, i think you're thinking of the amp under the center console? I would highly highly suggest removing that amp and running your own amps since you have high quality speakers. I have a 6 channel amp powering all 6 speakers and a seperate amp for my sub. Those are all controled with a Mosconi DSP so i can tune/adjust each speaker individually. This is whats called an active system since all speakers are powered individually and tuned individually. I had @thecarstereocompany come out and do all the tuning for me and I never knew a car stereo could sound so good.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there is no stock sound processor, i think you're thinking of the amp under the center console? I would highly highly suggest removing that amp and running your own amps since you have high quality speakers. I have a 6 channel amp powering all 6 speakers and a seperate amp for my sub. Those are all controled with a Mosconi DSP so i can tune/adjust each speaker individually. This is whats called an active system since all speakers are powered individually and tuned individually. I had @thecarstereocompany come out and do all the tuning for me and I never knew a car stereo could sound so good.

The thing is I don't know if it would make a lot of sense to do since I'm running the PX6 head unit, which isn't exactly a high end head unit for sound control/output. I'm more than sure a system separately controlling each speaker with it's own amplifier channel is going to be the best for sound output, I'm just not sure if in my case it makes sense to chase that.

Besides that, I'm thinking of installing something like this and powering it off the rear inverter plug.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your phoenix screen has to use the oem sony amp. there are no rca/low level outputs from that unit. your only choice is to add a sound processor to the system. as far as sound quality, the processor makes all the difference in the world. it has to be tune properly in order for you to have that sound quality, but its the next step in audio if you choose to go thst direction.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
your phoenix screen has to use the oem sony amp. there are no rca/low level outputs from that unit. your only choice is to add a sound processor to the system. as far as sound quality, the processor makes all the difference in the world. it has to be tune properly in order for you to have that sound quality, but its the next step in audio if you choose to go thst direction.

Yea, it's got no RCA outputs for sure. I would need to change out the head unit to get the low level outputs for the amp, and then also remove the Sony amp and install the sound processor too. From what I've been learning with sound systems in newer vehicles you either just make some small upgrades to the factory system, or you go all out and replace everything. There's not much of an in-between as a head unit can't do 100% of what you need for the sound quality, and the stock/no amplifier can properly drive quality speakers, and the stock subwoofers don't have enough juice to really create any bass. The setup I have now has decent sound quality and bass, and provides me with what I want in a head unit, so I'll probably just stick with what I have for now.

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can definitely get good sound out of the oem unit with the processor. but since you changed it out already, you just need to add the sound processor. you need to run an active front stage to maximize the benefits of the sound processor.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
you can definitely get good sound out of the oem unit with the processor. but since you changed it out already, you just need to add the sound processor. you need to run an active front stage to maximize the benefits of the sound processor.
So you're saying you can run the OEM Sony amp with a processor? I just assumed that the OEM Sony amp was most of the issue in getting anything out of the speakers. Wouldn't I need the RCA outputs from the head unit, and what do you mean by an active front stage?

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you're saying you can run the OEM Sony amp with a processor? I just assumed that the OEM Sony amp was most of the issue in getting anything out of the speakers. Wouldn't I need the RCA outputs from the head unit, and what do you mean by an active front stage?
active front stage means a seperate channel for your tweeter and a seperate channel for the door drivers. basically a 4 channel amp for the fronts. this allows tuning and time alignment individually, maximizing the sq of the system. the good thing about the processor is that it takes speaker level input and send signal out via rca to your amps. the issue with the 2013-14 trucks is that volume is data controlled through the sony amp, if you remove it, you have no volume control, nav, or bluetooth sound. however i believe recently there has been a data module released that finally allows you to remove it. not sure on the cost though.

a simpler way is pay me money and i will come do it for you. haha.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
active front stage means a seperate channel for your tweeter and a seperate channel for the door drivers. basically a 4 channel amp for the fronts. this allows tuning and time alignment individually, maximizing the sq of the system. the good thing about the processor is that it takes speaker level input and send signal out via rca to your amps. the issue with the 2013-14 trucks is that volume is data controlled through the sony amp, if you remove it, you have no volume control, nav, or bluetooth sound. however i believe recently there has been a data module released that finally allows you to remove it. not sure on the cost though.

a simpler way is pay me money and i will come do it for you. haha.

That would definitely be the easy way to do it! lol

I guess until I'm ready to replace the Sony amp, add the processor, and replace the head unit I'll just stick with what I have. I know the sound output from the PX6 unit without the RCA outputs isn't going to be great, and without replacing the Sony amp with better unit the speakers will never get driven to their full ability, and like you said without the sound processor it doesn't make much sense to upgrade the other things. Definitely seems like it's one of those things you either just re-do all of it, or leave it. I'd just hate to give up the PX6 unit for something with better sound quality output, but far less features.

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would definitely be the easy way to do it! lol

I guess until I'm ready to replace the Sony amp, add the processor, and replace the head unit I'll just stick with what I have. I know the sound output from the PX6 unit without the RCA outputs isn't going to be great, and without replacing the Sony amp with better unit the speakers will never get driven to their full ability, and like you said without the sound processor it doesn't make much sense to upgrade the other things. Definitely seems like it's one of those things you either just re-do all of it, or leave it. I'd just hate to give up the PX6 unit for something with better sound quality output, but far less features.
you can keep everything you have. just add the sound processor. however a new amp would do you good. or get another 2 channel amp for the rears. just want to have an active front stage when doing a sound processor