Articulation Ramp / RTI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GR8PMKN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone scored their Raptor on a articulation ramp? I will be putting mine on the ramp this weekend and wanted to know what others have scored.

OP
OP
GR8PMKN

GR8PMKN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditto. Lookin forward to the results.

I'll post the score and some photos after the event. I had previously done this with my H2 and my wifes FJ. I'm expecting a score in the 850 to 900 range with the Raptor.

Rick

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How did the FJ and H2 score?

I admit I'm not entirely familiar with the scoring, and/or how it reflects what is "good". Especially when compared to other vehicles. Mind edumucatings me? :whiteflag:

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Mind edumucatings me? :whiteflag:
Wikipedia:
"Ramp travel index or RTI, is a way of measuring a vehicle's ability to flex its suspension, a property also known as axle articulation. The RTI rating is used mainly in the off-roading industry to test and describe chassis limits of modified vehicles.

The ramps vary between 15 and 30 degrees of angle for the vehicle to ride up. "Ramping" a vehicle involves putting one front tire on the ramp and driving up slowly until one of the other three tires (usually the rear one on the same side as the tire driving the ramp) begins to leave the ground. The measurement is only taken when the other three tires are still on the ground. The distance traveled up the ramp is then measured and is divided by the vehicle's wheelbase and finally multiplied by 1000 to give a final RTI score[1]. Most stock SUVs have RTI values from 400 to 550[1]; vehicles modified for off-road competition have the ability to exceed 1000[2]."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramp_travel_index

"The term RTI stands for Ramp Travel Index. Ramp Travel index is a measurement of a vehicles suspension, frame and tire compression and the resulting flexibility of all components of the vehicle to achieve a score. This standardized test uses a ramp to find the extreme flex point of the vehicle.

The RTI test is a good indicator of how well a vehicle will do in many situations offroad while traveling over an obstacle. Ideally a vehicle will do better if it is able to keep all wheels on the ground for maximum traction. If a vehicle's suspension is too stiff (less flex), it generally will lift a wheel or possibly two wheels while attempting to get over an object resulting in a loss of contact and traction at those lifted wheels. Loss of traction is especially apparent with vehicles equipped with open differentials. In situations requiring a lot of flex locking differentials and some limited slip differentials will help maintain momentum with the opposite wheel of the axle (front or rear), however good flexibility results in more wheels on the ground, better traction and better stability of the vehicle as the suspension conforms to the terrain."
Taken from: http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/rti.htm

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
131_0903_09_z+2007_jeep_military_t1+on_ramp_articulation.jpg

This pic shows how much articulation this specially designed vehicle is capable of (all 4 wheels are still in contact!):

Picture_022081603.jpg

Dodge Ram:

07photo02.jpg

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure the front sway bar will limit the amount of articulation possible on the Raptor.

And as I said, all of the vehicles I can remember seeing with extreme articulation have solid front and rear axles (not independent suspensions like our Raptors have in the front).