GEN 2 anyone running a 170 thermostat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
f you don't reprogram the fans, the factory setting won't turn the fans ON until your engine hits 200F(ish) defeating most of the purpose of installing the 170F thermostat. The difference in HP (all things equal) is substantial due to the way FORD has these Raptor motors super sensitive to knock on both banks of cylinders - and they massively reduce the timing spark.

couldn’t you just wire in a manual switch?

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
couldn’t you just wire in a manual switch?

Ya know, I've been wondering this myself, since I'm not running a tune until it's out of warranty (and I may even go for the ESP once my three years are up). Anyone now where the fan relays are located? Run a manual switch with a diode to the relay wire to trigger the fans on whenever I want to is the plan...

Bruce Pacheco

Reaction score
Is anyone dealing with a P0128 code after installing a 170 thermostat? I live in Florida which is normally pretty hot but we are in "Winter" now so we are seeing temps in the 50's and 60's. Ever since I installed my 160 thermostat I get P0128 code? I wonder if I got a bad thermostat and it's stuck open or if I should go with the 170?

BTW, I have a 2020 Raptor with the following mods:
MPT tune
Borla S-Line cat-bak
AMS boost tubes
Mishimoto transmission cooler.
AFE CAI.
Mishimoto 160 thermostat
Mishimoto Chill coolant.
JLT Oil Separator
Motorcraft 1 range colder plugs

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Is anyone dealing with a P0128 code after installing a 170 thermostat? ….MPT tune....

160 is too cool for the engine to make best power. Why people do this is beyond me. 170 is pushing pretty close to too cool as well. A 180 is the best choice.

Anyway, your problem is either a failed T-stat OR the MPT tune wasn't set for the cooler temps. WTF don't you ask your tuner at MPT? What does the temp gauge say for actual?

desmond

Reaction score
all 3, bolts can be reached from passengers side , 8mm bolts used small 1/4 in drive stubby socket short ext
3/8 hose straight screwdriver drain rad into clean bucket to reuse
do when cold
mine is 2019 raptor takes about 15 minites
hope this helps who need help

Rino3

Reaction score
Guys,
Has any one come up with a definitive answer on the thermostat? My 2017 runs fine until I reach any hill, I have seen the temperature reach as high as 245 degrees. I did buy the 170 degree thermostat from SPD but have not installed it.
Phoenix, AZ Stock 2017!!

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Guys,
Has any one come up with a definitive answer on the thermostat? My 2017 runs fine until I reach any hill, I have seen the temperature reach as high as 245 degrees. I did buy the 170 degree thermostat from SPD but have not installed it.
Phoenix, AZ Stock 2017!!
Just put it in. WTF.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just put it in. WTF.
Says the guy that almost 5 years ago said it would not do anything and was a waste of time.
The older first gen fuel injected vehicles (1980's) needed engine temp to reach 160+ to go into "closed loop" fuel control.

That hasn't been the case for over 20 years, heated O2 sensors, especially wide band sensors can start working in as little as 30 seconds on a 10 degree morning, Cat converters can "light off" soon after.

I have not decided yea or nay on the 170 stat yet, but It should not hurt anything (for the most part).

on a 105 degree day towing uphill it should open sooner, staring coolant flow through radiator sooner there by giving you extra time to heat soak and get temp up to and over 230 (my cringe temp)

coolant temp and cylinder head temp are not the same FYI.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Says the guy that almost 5 years ago said it would not do anything and was a waste of time.
The older first gen fuel injected vehicles (1980's) needed engine temp to reach 160+ to go into "closed loop" fuel control.

That hasn't been the case for over 20 years, heated O2 sensors, especially wide band sensors can start working in as little as 30 seconds on a 10 degree morning, Cat converters can "light off" soon after.

I have not decided yea or nay on the 170 stat yet, but It should not hurt anything (for the most part).

on a 105 degree day towing uphill it should open sooner, staring coolant flow through radiator sooner there by giving you extra time to heat soak and get temp up to and over 230 (my cringe temp)

coolant temp and cylinder head temp are not the same FYI.
I was definitely skeptical - but when I saw my temps go over 220 on the OEM tstat i said fuckit, and put the 170 in.