Help SupportFord Raptor Forum by donating:

Help support Ford Raptor Forum :

GEN 2 anyone running a 170 thermostat?

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods' started by Toadster, Nov 24, 2017.

1. dhmcfadin

dhmcfadin Full Access Member

They do. You just reuse the gasket from your stock thermostat. It won’t fit so tight making installation a lot easier.

2. nikhsub1

nikhsub1 Full Access Member

This. The gasket that came with my SPD thermostat was whack, I reused the OEM oring and all good.

dhmcfadin likes this.
  3. baugustine

baugustine Member

With all due respect to you guys making comparisons to big-bore diesel tuning, the OP was asking about installing a lower temp thermostat. No one was providing misinformation when advising him to save his money. He did not say he was building a desert race truck. If he’s planning on making lots more horsepower he’ll need much more than a thermostat and a tune. A complete analysis and upgrade of the cooling system would be necessary, including flow rates, radiator surface area and thermodynamics. These motors are very different from a Cummins or Powerstroke, including expensive catalytic converters that don’t like high heat or overfueling.

BIG TIME BALLER and TwizzleStix like this.
  4. Lonestar608

Lonestar608 Member

baugustine, you mentioned that sitting on I-10 in the middle of summer would be a different use case. For those of us that live in Houston and deal with this use case regularly, does your opinion on thermostats change? Are there other upgrades/changes/solutions you would advise?

5. dewalt

dewalt Full Access Member

My motor was running up to 220. Being old school diesel that looked too high. So I put in a 170. Runs 190 to 200. Fans come on at 190 so it doesn't.t make sense to open thermostat and start fans