GEN 2 anyone running a 170 thermostat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Zero benefits. In today's computer controlled (ECU) cars, using a lower thermostat will just confuse the car thinking it isn't all the way up to temp possibly leading to premature fouled plugs and/or O2 sensors. There is no reason to change the stock thermostat.

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zero benefits. In today's computer controlled (ECU) cars, using a lower thermostat will just confuse the car thinking it isn't all the way up to temp possibly leading to premature fouled plugs and/or O2 sensors. There is no reason to change the stock thermostat.

I believe if you swap to a 170 t-stat a tune will be required.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
curious if any of you are running a lower temp thermostat - benefits?

Huge benefit!!!!
But here's the 411, you need to have the Tuner adjust the electric fans to jump on at 170.
Otherwise it will just climb up to 204-210 (stock setting) before the electric fans start turning on.
This fan mod is great for romping around and traffic.
On the highway and cool days you will see your temp steady down to 170.
May take awhile before Whipple will play with the fans.
I'm sure once enough Gen2's running the Whipple kit and more data is collected things like this can be added to the Tune.

Took me a while to get Whipple's Tuner to adjust that setting only because they haven't tested that yet.
I have been running the fan mod for three years now. No problems.
I run a 160 in the summer and switch back to a 180 for the winter, otherwise you will not get good enough heat in the cabin when it's 0 outside. LOL
Also not that this is a biggie, but you see a slight drop in mpg (up to .5 mpg) but gain a little power.

Last edited:

taoseno

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put a Scangauge on my truck recently and I was seeing temps around 204-210; thought that seemed high although stock temp gauge (no numbers yet) seemed normal. is that the stock setting for GEN2?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That is the optimal temp for a complete as possible combustion.
Certainly not the most HP.
This makes the Government happy.
These are the rules for the whole fleet of vehicles of any manufacture.
If you don't come in at the numbers set by the Gov. then you have to start removing models.

im33303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the SPD 170 thermostat and it does not require any tune ( even though my truck is tuned by my self through HP Tuners).
As MTF has mentioned, you would benefit from it more if the fans are programmed to come up earlier and in a different percentage too.

It would run pretty close to the 170 degrees unless pushed hard. Full blast until way above 100 mph would take to it beyond the 200 degrees. I think that's the habit of the DI engines.

Swarfworks

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been running a 170 for about a month now. I was tired of it running 220-235 degrees. Just seemed if it ever started to overheat for whatever reason, that it was just too close to bad crap happening.

Now I’m running about 180-190 degrees with normal driving. I’m running the MPT tune, though it’s not really a necessity. I have seen zero bad effects from running the 170. Still warms up just as quick and still get good interior heat. The stock one running so hot was just to please the government. So screw them.