Water Pump/ Thermostat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Morrisabm

Reaction score
So what had happened was my water pump started leaking on my 18 Gen 2. It’s been sitting at the dealer for a week and while they’re in there asked if they’d go ahead and replace the thermostat. I was told you cannot just replace the thermostat you must also replace the thermostat housing or it will leak. After seeing all the thermostat threads for cooler thermostats has anyone experienced a leaking housing afterwards, or does everyone replace the housing as well?

Sunchild714

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my water pump go out as well on my '18. The dealer also replaced the thermostat. About 6 months after that maintenance, I took a trip to Baja in the summer and started experiencing some overheating conditions. I came back, swapped out my factory replaced thermostat for a 170 one and haven't had any issues since. No leaks, no overheating. I live in the desert and do Baja trips twice a year, so the 170 works for my truck.