Anyone here has an upgraded intercooler w/o a tune?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Todd Turbo S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m curious to get some feedback with anyone whom happens to have an aftermarket intercooler but does not combined it with an aftermarket tune. I just like the idea of having cooler air feed the turbos and get slightly more hp/torque gains. Also considering AMS Boost Tubes. The only performance mods I have now, is, Corsa Sport mufflers, Roush CIA and Alcon BBK.

I only have 6,000 miles and will take me 5-6 years more to reach 30k miles, which is my target before installing COBB/GooseTune. If voiding the warranty was not an issue, I would have the tune in the intercooler already installed. I already spoke with my local Ford dealership service manager, he said the intercooler would not void any warranties, accept obviously for the intercooler itself.

feedback appreciated.

CVF-Jason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've had customers upgrade their intercooler without an accompanying tune. It's not as efficient as running a tune with the intercooler but you still do feel the effects of the upgraded. More cool air flowing = better performance any way you look at it.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just a visual comparison will tell you the CVF will perform better.

I have Cobb OTS Stage 2 but I’m sure the stock map will be fine with an aftermarket IC.

3C2B95CC-48A8-4B57-9583-1DBFC7079056.jpeg

Alford78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had the SVC relocated IC without a tune going on 17k miles now. I am running their frame cut bumper so it was a must.
No issues at all.

edit
I removed the stock IC when the truck was new as the bumper and IC were my first mods. So less than 1,000 miles were stock.

Rick at FMS

aka:Rick @ FreedomMotorsports
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you want keep the stock location, I cannot recommend the Wagner enough. It is the largest of the stock location and still utilizing the shutters. It goes up partially behind the grill for more surface area. I run this one myself without a tune and I noticed the difference. Most tuners recommend this one too.

We have one in stock, message me for FRF pricing if interested

Rick
Freedom Motorsports

Attachments

• 0DB1CA20-F420-4627-9687-913FEF48E8A0.png
    0DB1CA20-F420-4627-9687-913FEF48E8A0.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 76

RaptorVette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went a few thousand miles with the CVF intercooler before I gave in and got a tune. Temps were definitely a lot lower even without a tune.

Be careful with those boost tubes. My 2019 has 34k miles and last week I had to take it the the dealership because it was running in "limp mode" but without a check engine light. Turns out one of the clamps on a boost tube fell off. I've never touched the boost tubes so I can't believe the clamp loosened enough to fall off. I get my truck back tomorrow and they are also doing the cam phaser software update. I'm going to keep a spare clamp just in case that happens again.