Anyone Cross Shop a Super Duty & Raptor???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlazinPond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ended up getting a late build 2018 Raptor built just the way I wanted, at a dealer near Dearborn MI.
Had a build spot for late March on 2019, but didn't want to wait and loved Lead Foot color.

Pro's of Raptor (IMO)
  • Looks/Uniqueness
  • Limitless Modification/customization ability
  • Ride quality and ability to go off-road at my hobby farm
  • Size (Not too big, not too small)
  • Historically, has held value well
Con's (IMO)
  • Compromise in towing ability
  • High price relative to other half ton's and compared to Super Duty

Setup:
  • New 24' Featherlite car hauler (3600 lbs)
  • Total trailer weight w/ track car and few accessories is approx. 7500 lbs
  • Expect to tow once a month (5 hours) on average.
  • Added Blue Ox Weight Distribution Hitch (1,000 lb spring arms) to trailer
  • Added a Roadmaster Active Suspension to Raptor (set at highest setting on rear leafs)
  • Had about 800 lbs (measured) weight on Raptor hitch and mostly empty pickup bed
Recently, did a 13-hour tow from Detroit to Minneapolis. Averaged 8.7 mpg.

While it did ok.....I wonder if I should have cross shopped the new 2019 Super Duty F-250 limited (85k msrp, $77k out the door) which only cost a touch more than my Raptor ($71k msrp).

_________

Should I try adding the Deavers 3HD custom leafs to the rear and replace the Roadmaster Active Suspension (even though the Roadmaster seemed to help minimize any squat)?

or....

Trade for 2019 Super Duty F-250 Limited w/ big V8 diesel (actual pic below) before I waste any more $$ on mods, PPF, ceramic coat beyond what I've already done (totaling about $5k to date)??

Conflicted...and second guessing myself.

JEZO25t3QCi+gAnxgTeaZA.jpg

18130303720x640.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
BlazinPond

BlazinPond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my second trip from Detroit to Minneapolis, I decided to go to Enterprise Truck rental and get a new F-350 Crew (Diesel) to test out.

I made the same trip (835 miles, one way) and weighed the trailer down even more (total weight and tongue weight about maxed out for trailer).

Averaged just shy of 11.8 mpg and often drove 70mph (max).

Could hardly tell I was pulling a trailer.

Simply Wow.

UyNvojVCThyn0Ldwjgq8NQ.jpg

kid icarus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you should have gone 250/350. That is a no brainer when comparing that versus a gen 2 Raptor.

One point I would beg to differ is the resale. Raptor resale is very different from the gen 1 to gen 2. The ecoboost is polarizing and you either are ok with it or not. That affects resale as your buyer base is limited. Resale is ultimately lower than what the typical gen 1 saw.
The superduty - that always has good resale.

Blusmbl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Completely upfront, only you can really answer this, there is no right answer.

I will say I've spent the last 8+ years driving diesel Super Duties and bought a 2018 Raptor similar to yours for my personal vehicle. I like the plush ride of the Raptor and the incredible offroad capability compared to a stock Super Duty.

When you aren't towing, is your truck your daily driver? If not and it's mostly around for a tow vehicle for your race car I would trade it in on a Super Duty. You're at the limit of what I would comfortably tow with a Raptor. If it is also your daily driver the decision is much more difficult (at least to me, anyway).

You can stiffen up the suspension with deavers and possibly a shock revalve but that's only part of the picture. Higher load rating tires help with stability too as they usually are stiffer overall. This also will reduce what the Raptor is capable of in higher speed offroad situations, but if you're not offroading much, and not in sand or high speed whoops it shouldn't matter to you.

OP
OP
BlazinPond

BlazinPond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Completely upfront, only you can really answer this, there is no right answer.

I will say I've spent the last 8+ years driving diesel Super Duties and bought a 2018 Raptor similar to yours for my personal vehicle. I like the plush ride of the Raptor and the incredible offroad capability compared to a stock Super Duty.

When you aren't towing, is your truck your daily driver? If not and it's mostly around for a tow vehicle for your race car I would trade it in on a Super Duty. You're at the limit of what I would comfortably tow with a Raptor. If it is also your daily driver the decision is much more difficult (at least to me, anyway).

You can stiffen up the suspension with deavers and possibly a shock revalve but that's only part of the picture. Higher load rating tires help with stability too as they usually are stiffer overall. This also will reduce what the Raptor is capable of in higher speed offroad situations, but if you're not offroading much, and not in sand or high speed whoops it shouldn't matter to you.

Agreed.
Yes, the Raptor is my daily, which makes the decision harder.

Blusmbl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long is your commute? If it's lots of short trips, and you go the diesel route, I'd make sure the F250 you bought had the operator commanded regen option, and maybe the PTC supplemental cab heater too. The diesels take forever to warm up in northern climates.

The Super Duties are certainly much more useful vehicles, but at the same time they are not as fun as a Raptor is on a daily driver basis.

Also, do you tow mostly in flat areas or would you be towing southwest to Colorado or anything? With that large of an enclosed trailer I'd want a F250 or better if you end up in mountains with it.

OP
OP
BlazinPond

BlazinPond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While the Raptor is my 'daily' I do have a take home, work vehicle.

The area's I frequent are normally quite flat for the most part.

Yipekiye

Reaction score
Is renting the F350 a viable option when you need to tow? The mods you are considering fund quite a few rentals. Then you have the fun truck the other 27 days of the month.

Blusmbl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still a tough call then. If you don't really take the Raptor offroad (or at least to areas where a Super Duty also wouldn't do okay in) I'd probably trade since you tow so frequently, and the diesel obviously gets better fuel economy in addition to being more stable due to the 3/4 ton suspension.

Me personally since I go to the dunes a few times a year, if I also towed as much as you I'd either step down to a lighter open trailer OR I would bite the bullet, swap the rear springs and also go to the higher load rating BFG's when it needs tires for the first time.