Any mountain bikers? Post your travel setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warpath. Be prepared to have this setup fail. These setups often lead to breakage.

Those swing away racks are quite heavy, add the weight of the bikes, factor in the long lever arms from trailer axle to hitch, then to bikes and it often leads to failure.

The most common failure point is the area that the receiver hitch attaches to the trailer.

I speak from general experience, not from specific experience with your exact trailer, hitch mount or bike rack.

If you go forward with this make certain to check under the trailer for signs of stress failure.

Also contact the bike rack manufacturer (Kuat), asking them if their product is warrantied for use on the back of a travel trailer.

Warpath

Reaction score
Warpath. Be prepared to have this setup fail. These setups often lead to breakage.

Those swing away racks are quite heavy, add the weight of the bikes, factor in the long lever arms from trailer axle to hitch, then to bikes and it often leads to failure.

The most common failure point is the area that the receiver hitch attaches to the trailer.

I speak from general experience, not from specific experience with your exact trailer, hitch mount or bike rack.

If you go forward with this make certain to check under the trailer for signs of stress failure.

Also contact the bike rack manufacturer (Kuat), asking them if their product is warrantied for use on the back of a travel trailer.
Thanks for the heads up. Actually the swing and rack are pretty light. I found a couple of AS that use this setup with no issues. I will however keep an eye out.

Last edited:

Warpath

Reaction score

Well after talking with Kuat, you were absolutely correct with the swing gate. I've decided to take your advice and not use that. They did say the rack was good to go. Thanks for looking out.

TremorRaptor

Reaction score
Awesome trailer @Warpath! In my Airstream forum research, the most recommended bike rack is the one Airstream sells - Fiamma. Lots of comments similar to Wheelman55's about regular racks failing...

ROAD5

Reaction score
I have loved this setup since switching to it. Yakima jet stream bars, Yakima HighRoad bike mount and RetraxOne XR tonneau cover. Works great all together and I swap the bike mount for Yakima FatCat ski mounts right about now. Bike is a Revel Ranger.

IMG_3913.jpeg