another solution to eliminate camera glare and tailgate illumination

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toledoUPSguy

Reaction score
I been spending a lot of time on the tacoma world forum because of the most excellent SAE fog and driving light threads there. Seems like the Tacoma people have a very similar problem that us 15-20 F150 and Raptor owners have. Stumbled upon a thread of a member there who fixed the issue and started his own little sideline business for those who wanted his solution. Best thing about this member, he is an active duty service member doing his part to protect our way of life and freedom around the world. If you go to his thread and want to support him just know that he just got sent out overseas and will not be able to fulfill any new orders until the end of the year. I told him he'd probably have a receptive audience from f150/ Raptor owners and he asked me to make him a template. He was not able to make them like I asked before deploying. I wanted them to fit inside the cutout and I am going to whittle away at these until they do.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...#post-27092149

over_back_b18a33050a1723d62820be92d9a624ee1e620d57.jpg
ver_front_bc9e1e2e7fae70b605ef8afd2a4fdf18f3c5cd75.jpg

Reaction score
Has anyone tried smoked acrylic? The black transparent stuff? If not, I can order some and try it. I have an industrial laser and CAD skills, so making one is simple, just need the plastic. I'd like to know if it hasn't worked before I try it though, let me know if you've any experience. Happy to help the community.

3Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried smoked acrylic? The black transparent stuff? If not, I can order some and try it. I have an industrial laser and CAD skills, so making one is simple, just need the plastic. I'd like to know if it hasn't worked before I try it though, let me know if you've any experience. Happy to help the community.

Count me in as interested.

blwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
or just order the Super Duty lights and trim a little (or the 21 f150 which should be a direct swap). They are more recessed and don't shine up as much

Super Duty:
LED -
HC3Z-13550-C
HC3Z-13550-D

Incandescent
HC3Z-13550-A
HC3Z-13550-B

Untitled.jpg

Super Duty:

20170402_054959.jpg

Factory:

20170402_060635.jpg

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did the Super Duty housing swap on my 2017 and 2020. I tried something similar to the OP's method but the light still shined upward and lit the tailgate up like a billboard too much for my liking. On the Super Duty housings the lights are recessed and don't point upward.

OP
OP
T

toledoUPSguy

Reaction score
It isn't my method. I have black tape on mine under the plastic piece not permanently attached. I just offered to help a service man out with his sideline business.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I never had a problem with my rear lights. I did a swap to LED's when it was new and haven't had an issue with my '20. It lights my gate up some, but doesn't interfere with the camera. I figured maybe it will help keep someone from rear ending me.

colticus

Full Access Member
Reaction score