Amperage on Aux Switches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denvertaco07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I installed the Rigid 41610 today. I put the two 4-Lamp "Flood" lights on AUX 6, which is a 5 Amp switch, but the fuse blew (I assume, haven't checked it yet to verify, but not sure what else it could be), they worked fine first few times on the 5 amp switch.

The lights, according to Rigid, draw 2.14 amps (I assume per light), my math = 4.28 Amps. Am I kidding myself putting this on a 5 amp switch?

They work fine on AUX 3, 10 Amp, but curious why 5 couldn't handle it.

thanks,

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fuses work based on heat. since you are so close to the max amperage it heats up and fails. think of it at always driving your car/truck at 5000rpm when it redlines at 6000. same with electricity. it will wear down faster and fail. use a relay on it and you wont have any issues

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
4.28 is less than 5amps but as you found out, you always want a little extra headroom.

Hi all,

I installed the Rigid 41610 today. I put the two 4-Lamp "Flood" lights on AUX 6, which is a 5 Amp switch, but the fuse blew (I assume, haven't checked it yet to verify, but not sure what else it could be), they worked fine first few times on the 5 amp switch.

The lights, according to Rigid, draw 2.14 amps (I assume per light), my math = 4.28 Amps. Am I kidding myself putting this on a 5 amp switch?

They work fine on AUX 3, 10 Amp, but curious why 5 couldn't handle it.

thanks,

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We list the following guidelines in our Triple Fog Light Kit Manual. It's a good guideline to use:

Baja Designs S1 (Pair): 2.9 Amps Max
Baja Designs S2 Sport (Pair): 1.8 Amps Max
Baja Designs S2 Pro (Pair): 3.32 Amps Max
Baja Designs Squadron Sport (Pair): 4.0 Amps Max
Baja Designs Squadron Pro (Pair): 6.66 Amps Max
Rigid Industries D‐Series Driving (Pair): 6.28 Amps Max
Rigid Industries D‐Series SAE (Pair): 3.0 Amps Max
Rigid Industries D‐Series (All Others, Pair): 4.28 Amps Max
Rigid Industries Radiance Pod (Pairs): 2.0 Amps Max
Rigid Industries Radiance Scene (Pairs): 4.0 Amps Max

As others have said. 4.28 IS below the 5 amp threshold BUT it's really close. SO you might blow the fuse from time to time as it heats up or you get any surges. For a 4.28 amp circuit I like to use a 7.5amp fuse (or in the Raptor case, the 10amp circuit).

You're NOT supposed to switch the fuses to anything higher, for good reason. BUT if you went from a 5 amp to a 7.5amp fuse. I'd say you should be OKAY. Don't go above that though but MAYBE throwing a 7.5 in there will help solve your issue. It should still pop with any issues since the amperage is so low. If you did a 20 amp fuse, that'd be a BIG no no. But going to a 7.5 should solve your problem without causing issues. You already know your lights are not pulling higher then 4.28 amps but you just need a little extra room to get you through a little surge or extra heat.

OP
OP
Denvertaco07

Denvertaco07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fuses work based on heat. since you are so close to the max amperage it heats up and fails. think of it at always driving your car/truck at 5000rpm when it redlines at 6000. same with electricity. it will wear down faster and fail. use a relay on it and you wont have any issues

As others have said. 4.28 IS below the 5 amp threshold BUT it's really close. SO you might blow the fuse from time to time as it heats up or you get any surges. For a 4.28 amp circuit I like to use a 7.5amp fuse (or in the Raptor case, the 10amp circuit).

You're NOT supposed to switch the fuses to anything higher, for good reason. BUT if you went from a 5 amp to a 7.5amp fuse. I'd say you should be OKAY. Don't go above that though but MAYBE throwing a 7.5 in there will help solve your issue. It should still pop with any issues since the amperage is so low. If you did a 20 amp fuse, that'd be a BIG no no. But going to a 7.5 should solve your problem without causing issues. You already know your lights are not pulling higher then 4.28 amps but you just need a little extra room to get you through a little surge or extra heat.

Thank you!

So, a relay would let me keep it in 6 with the 5 amp? The kit shipped with relays and switches, but of course we don't technically need them in the Rap. I don't really have any plans right now to add anything else, so I should be fine, but did want to use the lowest amp switch as possible to save the others if needed.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Those Rigid kits are honestly a bit of a mess. Thus the relays they give you. It's a Raptor Fog Kit yet they give you generic harnesses? Bleh. Not to say Rigid sucks, we sell a lot of Rigid but as our own fog kits with a Raptor harness... BUT you could use a relay to power it safely. Throw a 7.5 or 10 amp fuse on the relay, and use your upfitter as the TRIGGER wire.

I mean they gave you that extra garbage right, may as well use it :)

BTW if you've yet to wire it up and want a nice clean harness... here ya go: http://www.4x4truckleds.com/crystal...nectors-rigid-industries-kc-hilites-vision-x/

OP
OP
Denvertaco07

Denvertaco07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those Rigid kits are honestly a bit of a mess. Thus the relays they give you. It's a Raptor Fog Kit yet they give you generic harnesses? Bleh. Not to say Rigid sucks, we sell a lot of Rigid but as our own fog kits with a Raptor harness... BUT you could use a relay to power it safely. Throw a 7.5 or 10 amp fuse on the relay, and use your upfitter as the TRIGGER wire.

I mean they gave you that extra garbage right, may as well use it :)

BTW if you've yet to wire it up and want a nice clean harness... here ya go: http://www.4x4truckleds.com/crystal...nectors-rigid-industries-kc-hilites-vision-x/

Exactly, I wired it up already and was a bit disappointed in a "Raptor Kit" not coming with a bespoke harness, and no real instructions for if you are using the Raptor upfitters, the assumption being that everyone knows exactly what the F they are looking at. I figured it out, but would have been nice to have some instructions to lesson the learning curve and install time.

I appreciate your help!

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
No problem. If you are ever in the market for lighting, just let us know. We're a vendor here and we stock pretty much everything you could need.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you!

So, a relay would let me keep it in 6 with the 5 amp? The kit shipped with relays and switches, but of course we don't technically need them in the Rap. I don't really have any plans right now to add anything else, so I should be fine, but did want to use the lowest amp switch as possible to save the others if needed.
ues the relay they gave you, but you dont have to use the wiring. wiring the relay is simple. i can post a diagram......... or you can wait until i move to thorntonin october

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter