Airbags?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firedupducky

Reaction score
They don't have an airbag for Gen 3 yet.

I installed the Airlift inside coil bags made for Dodge Ram (same size coil) When not under load, the Gen 3 maintains the stock suspension.

Waiting for a long test run this spring.

I don't suppose. you have the dimensions for the stock rear springs for the Gen 3? The shop I use sells Firestone airbags, so I assume the 2022 Dodge 1500 Firestone Coil-Rite rear kit would fit the same as the Airlift kit? Here's a link to the airbags I'm talking about.

Firestone Coil-Rite: 4130 - Rear Kit​

pnwobrigade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the universal kit, but haven’t installed it yet. How long have you had this installed, what pressure are you running when not loaded and is there any noticeable damage until now? Main reason not yet installed is that it’s crap weather here in Illinois and I just didn’t want the added wear until towing season.
Would enjoy knowing this as well. I've had my eye on the Ram 1000HD kit like above as well.

Has anybody heard an update if Airlift plans to release a Raptor specific version anytime soon?

nbleak21

Reaction score
Would enjoy knowing this as well. I've had my eye on the Ram 1000HD kit like above as well.

Has anybody heard an update if Airlift plans to release a Raptor specific version anytime soon?
A couple of people have reached out and asked. The last comment I read was that Air Lift has a bag they think would work but needs to test.
They are looking for someone near their facility to be the test mule.

If I were closer, I'd volunteer. I'd love to know this information myself.

@MrHomeGuy - also wondering what was asked earlier in this thread: were you able to slide the bags in through the sides of the springs or did you have to take them off the perches?

firedupducky

Reaction score

I have been working with Les Schwab on this. I ordered the equivalent airbags from Firestone for the 2022 Dodge 1500 and they should be in over the next 7-10 days. So we shall see how it goes.

AKSteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of people have reached out and asked. The last comment I read was that Air Lift has a bag they think would work but needs to test.
They are looking for someone near their facility to be the test mule.

If I were closer, I'd volunteer. I'd love to know this information myself.

@MrHomeGuy - also wondering what was asked earlier in this thread: were you able to slide the bags in through the sides of the springs or did you have to take them off the perches?

Oh, what's the rush. It's only for one of the most popular trucks on the road and would fix the only real flaw in the vehicle, which is the fact that the ass end sags like crazy when you tow a decent sized trailer. We're already into the 3rd year of production of the Gen 3, so maybe they'll have something tested and ready to sell by the time the Gen 4 gets released.

AKSteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like it’s for leaf springs - states from 2010+ as well as up to mid ‘22.
Yep, I caught that right after I posted it. The fact that it showed "up to mid '22" threw me off since my Gen 3 is a 2021.

I deleted my original post, so for anyone who is confused, this is what we're talking about:

MrHomeGuy

Reaction score
My spring guy installed them and they prefer to remove the springs. There is a video on line where the installer compresses and zip ties the bag, jacks up the truck and fights to squeeze it in.

The stock inside length was just a bit over 12 inches. For daily driving, mine are aired up at 40 pounds and they fill the inside spring (see previous photos) with no noticeable suspension difference. Ride seems normal.

If I recall, the bags came with a round collar that floats above. The diameter and length seem to fit on my stock set up. The bag's length does not expand much when aired up like bellows style air bags so I don't think you will see much stretch in length so you may need a one inch spacer .

I have a set of Day Star cradles that you maybe able to fit on the bottom inside the coil for height and protection. You may need to mill down the diameter to fit inside the Geisers. See photos below / They also make cheap knock offs on Amazon.

It is a PIA and is a trial and error project My Gen 2 was a simpler mod. Hope this helps. Joe

Attachments

• IMG_1190.jpg
    IMG_1190.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1189.jpg
    IMG_1189.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1188.jpg
    IMG_1188.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 6

MrHomeGuy

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics!

I bought both the largest set of airlift 1000 and the ram set of 1000hd. I am finally home to check them out. With the Geiser springs, neither seems to make perfect sense, but maybe I'm wrong. The 1000 set has enough diameter to contact the whole coil but is not near tall enough, and the 1000hd set is almost tall enough to go from seat to seat. My truck in on a sloped driveway so it's probably compressed in the rear a bit, but the distance between seats is about 13," and the 1000hd is about 12" tall, so an inch to spare in there when there is no air in the bag.
Does the 1000hd get much taller when aired up? I don't remember if the stock springs had something in there for the bags to sit on, with the Geisers in there, it seems like the seats have a hard edge that may pop the bags.

Lastly, did you have to drop the springs out or were you able to squeeze them in through the side of the coil?
see below