AIRAID 2012 Non-oiled Water in the box!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

36vegas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had this problem. Installed a Airaid on my 2012 about a month ago have washed the truck twice, each time water is visable in the bottom of the containment box, near the drain hole. But the filter is dry?

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone had this problem. Installed a Airaid on my 2012 about a month ago have washed the truck twice, each time water is visable in the bottom of the containment box, near the drain hole. But the filter is dry?

I had this issue BEFORE I installed the Airaid. When I opened the lid to remove the old filter, I noticed water/mud stains in the bottom of the box. It had to come from the water puddles on the off-road race course, or the car wash.

OP
OP

36vegas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Airaid dosen't have a lid so I assume the rubber seals on the top are not enough to keep water out. When hand washed the water comes from the top only. Confusing ?

Badrap

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Comes into the stock filter also. The air is pulled thru the fender. It's worse with the Airaid open top. I just went back to stock on mine.

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Airaid dosen't have a lid so I assume the rubber seals on the top are not enough to keep water out. When hand washed the water comes from the top only. Confusing ?

I was referring to the lid on my stock filter. I had to remove the lid when installing the Airaid and there had been water/mud already in the air intake box.

Airaid sells a pre-filter that protects the filter from water.

You can also buy the AFE CAI and they do have lids available.

Badrap

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a prefilter, hell I have the whole Airaid kit someone can have if they send the shipping for it or pick it up. The prefilter stops the dust but not the water or power steering fluid.Ha

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a prefilter, hell I have the whole Airaid kit someone can have if they send the shipping for it or pick it up. The prefilter stops the dust but not the water or power steering fluid.Ha

Sounds like you've had a nasty experience with the Airaid. I hoping it doesn't get that bad for me. There are certainly more ways for water to get in with the Airaid than the stock system.

I assume the rubber seals didn't help? I used the taller version to protect the front of the air intake, as others had suggested.

How much water are you getting on the filter?

cups

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somebody was working on a sealing feature for the crack between the hood and the fender (a hard lid and I think it was 5-Star). There have been claims of water intrusion there.
If you are being crazy with the hose, I could see getting water in thru the fender well, engine compartment or between the fender and hood. I don't recall anyone ever saying these CAIs were totally water resistant.
I know it totally different, but I put 100k miles on my Wrangler with an open K&N filter with no problems. So I'm running the Airaid w/ dry filter.

twlhunter65

Reaction score
No problems with my AIRAID. I also use a prefilter and when I remove the filter to check things out I also have seen a small amount of water and mud residue but thats what the drain holes are for and I dont worry about it at all.