Aftermarket Lug Nut Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyrepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously? It's a truck. An eighth of an inch longer lug nuts will look bad? Starbucks won't let you into the drive through in such a declasse ride? Sorry about busting your nuts, but you deserve this one.
When you are spending almost $5000 for a set of forged KMC wheels and tires, you want it to look as good as possible. I do not like mud flaps and shin buster lug nuts. To each his own.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When you are spending almost $5000 for a set of forged KMC wheels and tires, you want it to look as good as possible. I do not like mud flaps and shin buster lug nuts. To each his own.
You're right. The 1.648" lug nuts will look like āss compared to the 1.5" lug nuts. And you'll risk busting your shins on them. How could I have been so stupid? I'm always over thinking stuff like this. Forget function, forget quality, focus on what looks good. Got it. I will try to do better next time. :)

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So these lugs are 1.648” long, are these the shortest (lowest profile) you can get? Obviously nobody wants longer than necessary as that would be ugly having the lug nuts sit further out than necessary.

I thought that other brands are 1.5”, but could be wrong.

Can you post close up pix of your McGard lugs?
i dont know...... if my nuts were longer, do they get bigger too? because who doesnt need bigger nuts. and if i bust my shin on my nuts, im hoping whats inbetween my nuts is relative to the size of my nuts.

just wondering here. if my nuts are big enough to bust my shin, do they hurt more because they are bigger? cause i hate getting hit in the nuts
You're right. The 1.648" lug nuts will look like āss compared to the 1.5" lug nuts. And you'll risk busting your shins on them. How could I have been so stupid? I'm always over thinking stuff like this. Forget function, forget quality, focus on what looks good. Got it. I will try to do better next time. :)

hyrepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hey smart ass, wouldn't a longer stud not function as well due to reduced rigidity and creating more pressure on the fulcrum? I may not be the smartest guy on the planet, but as an engineer, I presume my logic makes more sense than your pompous asinine statement.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey smart ass, wouldn't a longer stud not function as well due to reduced rigidity and creating more pressure on the fulcrum? I may not be the smartest guy on the planet, but as an engineer, I presume my logic makes more sense than your pompous asinine statement.
im not sure. arent the threads and shoulder of the lugs are what hold the wheel? which fulcrum point are you referring to? i wouldnt think length of the lugs would matter as long as all the threads are used and the wheel it tight

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
LOL If you're actually an engineer, you know that the only thing that matters, leverage-wise, is where the inner end of the nut sits on the stud. As long as the nut has enough threads to hold and enough length to get a wrench on, the rest is decoration. If you're another engineer, thanks for the laugh. If you're not, thanks for the laugh. Cheers. :favorites13:

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
im not sure. arent the threads and shoulder of the lugs are what hold the wheel? which fulcrum point are you referring to? i wouldnt think length of the lugs would matter as long as all the threads are used and the wheel it tight
You're on the money. The only place that could be a fulcrum is where the inner end of the lug nut contacts the stud. But the cone shape of the lug and the hole in the wheel is designed to keep the stud from experiencing leverage. He's either making a joke or running a bluff. Either way, I love it.

hyrepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It would matter gnats wing worth, but I was being technical. The longer a lever, the greater the leverage will be.