Aftermarket Lug Nut Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyrepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL If you're actually an engineer, you know that the only thing that matters, leverage-wise, is where the inner end of the nut sits on the stud. As long as the nut has enough threads to hold and enough length to get a wrench on, the rest is decoration. If you're another engineer, thanks for the laugh. If you're not, thanks for the laugh. Cheers. :favorites13:

NO, not at all. If that nut is 1.0" and you step on it with your foot, it will not budge. However if that nut is 10 feet long and you step on it with your foot it will have approximately 1780x more force. So yes, you would have a far greater tendency to be able to bend a lug, or the nut going over it.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
NO, not at all. If that nut is 1.0" and you step on it with your foot, it will not budge. However if that nut is 10 feet long and you step on it with your foot it will have approximately 1780x more force. So yes, you would have a far greater tendency to be able to bend a lug, or the nut going over it.
At ten feet long I'd expect the nut to flex and distribute the force. Can you give me some numbers that show how much more torque is applied to the stud with a 1.648" lever vs a 1.5" lever? Assume that the nut is torqued to spec and showing some reasonable assumption about how that affects the result, because I expect this to be the dominant effect. I do expect that the percentage increase in torque on the stud will be the same with a seated lug nut vs unseated. But is the magnitude significant? There's so much friction between the nut and the hole that very little force will be transferred to the stud. Unless I'm completely wrong. Which is possible. And I'd love to know how and why I've got it wrong. Seriously. I've never learned a darned thing by being right.

hyrepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At ten feet long I'd expect the nut to flex and distribute the force. Can you give me some numbers that show how much more torque is applied to the stud with a 1.648" lever vs a 1.5" lever? Assume that the nut is torqued to spec and showing some reasonable assumption about how that affects the result, because I expect this to be the dominant effect. I do expect that the percentage increase in torque on the stud will be the same with a seated lug nut vs unseated. But is the magnitude significant? There's so much friction between the nut and the hole that very little force will be transferred to the stud. Unless I'm completely wrong. Which is possible. And I'd love to know how and why I've got it wrong. Seriously. I've never learned a darned thing by being right.

You are correct in that the difference is negligible, at best. There however would be. I really have no clue what the formula is and would have to look it and spend some time running the calculations, but I would say the answer would be less than 1/10th of 1% or so.

However it would have an effect.

The main topic here however is not about strength, it far more about cosmetics.