GEN 1 Aftermarket Ambient Light Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i wanted to share an experience i had with the ambient light kit from F150LEDS.com. I installed this kit per their instructional video in December 2017 in my 2011 SCREW and had no issues. A few weeks ago i noticed that while driving in the dark, my ambient lights were not on, nor were the steering wheel control back lights, gear shifter back light, headlight switch back light and 4x4 selector switch back lights. So i figured there was a fuse blown or something. I searched the fuse box and online and could not find a fuse that was linked to these lights so i tried a bunch of them but couldn't find a blown fuse. I have an extended warranty so i took it up to the dealer to see if it was something internal and more complicated. Turns out the control module that controls these lights was fried. They replaced the module and apparently when they replace that module they have to re-program the ignition key. Well, they were having problems reprogramming the keys and they said after they disconnected the ambient lights they were able to get everything to work. This was after 4 days being in the shop. I'm not a ford tech so i'm not sure how tapping into the dash lights for some LED strips could blow a control module, especially 18 months after installing it. I'm also not sure why having the ambient lights hooked up would affect the programming of the module and the keys. But in the end it was fixed and the dealer did help me out and got me a loaner car while mine was down. But i figured I'd post this if anyone has the same kit and runs into the same problem. Before you take it in, disconnect the ambient lights. I'm also going to wire them to the uplifter switches and just turn them on when i need them and not chance another control module.

here's a link to the install video.
https://www.f150leds.com/collections/2009-14-f150-leds-1/products/09-14_ambient_light_led

Link to the kit.
https://www.f150leds.com/collection...ducts/10-14_raptor_interior_ambient_light_led

COBRA90GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where was the control module manufacturered? China?

Do you know if any of the wiring or componets inside of it or amongst the rest of the wiring become frayed / exposed / shorted out /etc ?

OP
OP
Jhollowell

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They didn’t say exactly what was wrong. Just the control module that controls the dash lights was bad. The ambient lighting and wires was fine. I actually just hooked it up to the aux switch and works fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heffneil

Reaction score
Sounds suspicious that it still works but would cause a problem? Perhaps a relay to isolate the draw on the modules would be more appropriate. Sounds like the dealer did you a solid which is always good!