AFE & Airaid experiment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
So I picked my truck up today from ADD (WOO-HOO!) and while there, a friend of mine stopped in to talk to them about a bumper. I had my AFE intake with me and he already has the Airaid intake on his truck. I had a hunch about the intake lid sealing to the hood.....actually, I had the hunch that it would not seal to the hood, just by looking at it. I mounted my AFE lid and filter as designed, put the weather stripping on and applied some grease on top of the stripping, closed the hood, opened it and ta-daaa, not even close to sealing to the hood, it doesn't touch and doesn't come close. I had already known this but just wanted to prove it. I love the AFE set up and do plan on using it but I'm gonna mod it to do what it should.

Now my buddy's Airaid is much taller and the weatherstripping is also taller. I didn't even need to do the old grease trick on that because you could plainly see where his is touching on the hood. So basically, I'm just saying the AFE does NOT seal to the hood and the Airaid does. Use it for what it's worth:)

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Good info. Kind of surprised that AFE didn't do their homework a little better. They usually turn out well designed products.

yeah seems as though they are selling the regular f-150 intakes as Raptor intakes. i would imagine the raptor hood is different on the *bottom* also.

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey SOCOM, when you modify your aFe, show us what you do. I've got one too and had the same suspicions about it's "seal".

OP
OP
SOCOMech

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
yeah seems as though they are selling the regular f-150 intakes as Raptor intakes. i would imagine the raptor hood is different on the *bottom* also.

But the intake is for a 6.2 and that's Raptor specific.......aside from the HD and Limited now.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
54-11962-B_400.jpg

75-11902-0V_400.jpg

:hmm:

OP
OP
SOCOMech

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
Oh I thought you were talking about the whole unit, tube and all. The lid, yeah, maybe it is the same as the 5.4's but that shouldn't make too much of a difference, it's pretty much the same.