Adding torsen front diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You're in luck: Summit has them currently at $650+shipping. I paid almost $750 a year ago. My shop charged $250 to do a bench install, so it's not a horribly expensive mod.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230915-204715_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230915-204715_Chrome.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 7

R3P7ER

Reaction score
I have a 2023 37pp, and like many of you I was pissed to find out that I didn’t have a torsen front differential. I originally ordered a MY22, but it sat for months and was never picked up by ford. I converted my order to a MY23, at the recommendation of my dealership, and it was picked up right away. It wound up being a second week build and was one of the early MY23’s off the production line. I just assumed that I was still getting an identical build to my prior MY22 order, including a torsen front differential. I only found out I didn’t have a torsen from all of you here on this forum. I am incredibly grateful to this forum and all of information readily available to us average Raptor owners. This is my personal experience with ordering and installing a torsen on a MY23.

I was immediately pissed at ford, I can only assume it was a cost-cutting measure as it was not widely marketed to us the consumer that we were getting a much better “break-assisted system”. Ford made it very clear that the torsen had been removed from the Raptor R due to the power output, but nothing was mention in the media about the ecoboost raptor.

I hear many people saying that we are unsure if anyone has had any negligible experience with off-roading, and only time will tell with that. For me, I ordered the Rigid lights package only because I wanted the torsen. The factory Rigid lights are pretty weak. I switched the Rigid lights out for better lights immediately after receiving my truck, but wasn’t aware I didn’t have a torsen.

I was able to order a Torsen through Ford Performance with a 20% off deal they were running. Part number M-4204- F150LS I used the ford points I earned from buying the truck and I wound up spending $204 for the torsen carrier (original price $710). I also picked up a couple of carrier bearings from ford parts for $34.83 each (part number NL3Z4220A). I called a few of my local area Ford dealerships and they all were A) uncertain if the exchange could be performed, and B) unwilling to do it. A local gear and differential shop installed it for me for $600 flat, including tax and fluids.

It works flawlessly in all driving situations thus far and all driving modes. In 2WD, it obviously feels the same while at my local Starbucks, but at the lease and while off-road, I can definitely feel a difference in 4 auto or 4H. It may be placebo, but I am more comfortable in most situations. I know that with one wheel in the air, it is equivalent to an open differential, but now I can just hit the brakes with the wheel in the air. I no longer have to worry about getting stuck while hopping the curb at the Starbucks parking or while driving across the small patch of grass.

I have been very happy with the change. I wish Ford would have been more forthright with us about the change and given us a credit like they did with the heated steering wheel, but changing it was not that difficult once I found a shop willing to do it.

Josh84

Reaction score
I love the torsen in my 2018 Raptor. I live in South Dakota and love going out in the snow and I will tell you that the very best feature about this truck is the Torsen.
I have had many four wheel drive pickups with larger knobby tires for snow and this truck blows them all out of the water even though 1 or 2 of them on paper should be similar or better in deep snow. The drivability is definitly worth more to me than the strength of maybe using a stronger locker. There is a lot of time in the winter of scattered slippery surfaces where you may want to be in 4 wheel drive but when you happen to be on dry surfaces and can feel bound when turning, the 4 wheel auto is definitly a big part of the picture.

I have been very light heartedly eyeing a new 37" Raptor but the lack of Torsen sucks.