Adding Intercooler Fans back with Aftermarket Intercooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doba_s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently I installed AMS Intercooler and one of the reasons I went with AMS is because it was advertised as “direct fit” which I interpreted as it goes in and all factory parts go back on the car with it.

Looking back I should have done some more research to see that 2 factory fans that help to evacuate heat from the stock Intercooler can not go back in due to the size of new AMS Intercooler.

277BA428-0FDF-420B-A3B5-8A4B23D8D88C.jpeg
C8402550-69F3-4520-B3B5-D7EE34C9FD65.jpeg

I really like to keep things in original configuration when modding my cars. So I wanted to add fans back on my truck.

After ordering a bunch of different fans in different sizes and specs I found a perfect set that fits really nicely and seem to be a lot more efficient in extracting heat (noticed another 8-12 degrees drop in temps). Everything fits nicely and fans plug in to the factory plug.

So far pretty happy with the kit I put together.

1D8F73CB-209E-4072-9DF9-B8CABF7D5D91.jpeg 53D87759-F94D-4385-9F46-0DCC191B4BB3.jpeg A2434D80-0CB5-4125-A335-DC33016077D6.jpeg

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Nice.

I did something similar on my ZX14. it has a big enough radiator, but this tiny fan that Kawa uses on several other models including some 250 dirt bike or something. So a guy out in Las Vegas found he could shoehorn a Jaguar fan in there and it moved something like 6x the air flow. Legit. it sounds like ... well, a giant fan when it comes on but it definitely helps.

OP
OP
doba_s

doba_s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice.

I did something similar on my ZX14. it has a big enough radiator, but this tiny fan that Kawa uses on several other models including some 250 dirt bike or something. So a guy out in Las Vegas found he could shoehorn a Jaguar fan in there and it moved something like 6x the air flow. Legit. it sounds like ... well, a giant fan when it comes on but it definitely helps.

That was part of my research to find high quality fans that are super efficient and quite at the same time. I have been using them on my other cars and seem to work pretty well

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have them on mine, not the stock fans but a slightly large diameter to fit my intercooler. Works great in the Texas heat, summer time they constantly stay running. If I remember correctly they are tied to my intake temp and set to turn on at 90 deg. Will try and see if I can get the make and model off next time I am under the bumper.

OP
OP
doba_s

doba_s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have them on mine, not the stock fans but a slightly large diameter to fit my intercooler. Works great in the Texas heat, summer time they constantly stay running. If I remember correctly they are tied to my intake temp and set to turn on at 90 deg. Will try and see if I can get the make and model off next time I am under the bumper.

I got mine hooked up to factory harness so whatever temp it’s set too they go off. I’ll try to see when they turn on.

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got mine hooked up to factory harness so whatever temp it’s set too they go off. I’ll try to see when they turn on.

Don't quote me on the temp setting, I think that is what they are set at. I am just going by when I hear them turn on. It might be less just I don't notice it much until they are blowing wide open.

WRaptor18

Reaction score
Recently I installed AMS Intercooler and one of the reasons I went with AMS is because it was advertised as “direct fit” which I interpreted as it goes in and all factory parts go back on the car with it.

Looking back I should have done some more research to see that 2 factory fans that help to evacuate heat from the stock Intercooler can not go back in due to the size of new AMS Intercooler.

View attachment 129996
View attachment 129997

I really like to keep things in original configuration when modding my cars. So I wanted to add fans back on my truck.

After ordering a bunch of different fans in different sizes and specs I found a perfect set that fits really nicely and seem to be a lot more efficient in extracting heat (noticed another 8-12 degrees drop in temps). Everything fits nicely and fans plug in to the factory plug.

So far pretty happy with the kit I put together.

View attachment 129998 View attachment 129999 View attachment 130000

What kind of fans are those, and where did you order them from? Looks like a really neat set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
doba_s

doba_s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of fans are those, and where did you order them from? Looks like a really neat set up.

Those two fans that I am using are from one of my earlier projects and I don’t recall where I got them from. I can look it up. But you also need a harness and a some hardware to mount them. If you are interested I can try to put another kit together.

WRaptor18

Reaction score
Those two fans that I am using are from one of my earlier projects and I don’t recall where I got them from. I can look it up. But you also need a harness and a some hardware to mount them. If you are interested I can try to put another kit together.

Thanks - that’d be awesome. Unfortunately I’m not able to do the project right now, and won’t be able to for about 6-8 months due to work. Looking to do the AMS intercooler, inlet pipes, and turbo adaptors then.

Was really just curious about the brand and where you got them from so I can add it to the mod list.

rayofsi

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wanted to add intercooler fans to a front mount intercooler. but i'm not sure that makes any sense.