Add me to the oil leak group

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jayrod

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing is feeding it oil. It’s a lip seal; its purpose is to isolate the internal engine components from the external components. So essentially keep oil in while keeping dirt/contamination out. The inner part of the seal has a tapered lip that rides on the crank snout and keeps oil from wicking out of the front cover. If the seal is not square with the crank, it will essentially be an oval sealing surface and a leak path will develop.

Thank you.

I plan to drive to the dealership tomorrow. It’s not far away maybe 10 mins.

I had a small amount of oil like 5 dots. Do you think it’s ok to drive it?

OP
OP
Jayrod

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update. The service department ordered the seal and the tool they need to perform the work. Its eta is April 1st. I spoke with the mechanic, he said it’s an incredibly minor leak and that I can drive it but to check oil on gas fill up and is sending me with some oil just in case. My dealership here is a really good one so I feel good about.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Man, please keep a diligent eye on that oil until this repair is done.
Good luck.

OP
OP
Jayrod

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, please keep a diligent eye on that oil until this repair is done.
Good luck.

Drove it all day yesterday and not a single drop on the ground, checked the oil and nothing gone. He did say it was minor but I’m checking it every single day several times. Only a few weeks until they have the part and tool.