GEN 2 Add me to the list of cam phaser replacements

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackbird18

Reaction score
Dropped my '18 off today for an oil change and moonroof repair. Mentioned to the advisor that I heard some bad sounds like there was no oil in the engine at startup a few times. I just got a text from him that it looks like I'll need them replaced but won't know for sure until in the morning when his tech checks it cold. I'm assuming if they think the cam phasers are bad when warm, they probably won't be good when cold. Any thoughts on that? I can't imagine them being bad today and fine tomorrow.

I'm still liking the truck plenty good and have no intent to sell it. I just hope it's back in time for me to go to the beach in a few weeks. This dealer has been pretty good so I think I'll be okay. The worst part about this is being in a XLT Sport. I didn't really appreciate how good the suspension is on the Raptor until I starting driving this thing. Ugh. But that 5.0 is pretty snappy.

Original sale date was 1/19/18. Not sure on production date. I think it was a November '17 build. I wouldn't quote me on that because I know I wouldn't.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, man. Ford is supposed to have implemented the improved part in 7/18 (build date) for F-150s. But there's plenty of stories of 18s and 19s built after that with the problem. I'm hoping with a build date of 7/19 I'm safe, but I suspect it's an inherent limitation of the design. Wish I knew what we could do to prevent this problem. Honestly, with all that goes into the repair, I will always feel like there's a 50/50 chance that something won't get re-assembled perfectly, no matter who is doing it.

OP
OP
blackbird18

blackbird18

Reaction score
I appreciate the sympathies but its still under warranty. 4,000 miles later may have been a different ballgame, powertrain warranty or not. I should know a little more tomorrow. If they need replacing, its good I caught it now instead of getting stuck on the side of the road. Ill take a little good with the bad since it could always be worse. ;)

OP
OP
blackbird18

blackbird18

Reaction score
Got the update this morning. Cam phasers are being replaced as well as the guide and something else for the sunroof. Service advisor says I should have it back by the end of the week.

Is there any kind of break-in period for new phasers or just go back to driving normally?

2019 scott

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, man. Ford is supposed to have implemented the improved part in 7/18 (build date) for F-150s. But there's plenty of stories of 18s and 19s built after that with the problem. I'm hoping with a build date of 7/19 I'm safe, but I suspect it's an inherent limitation of the design. Wish I knew what we could do to prevent this problem. Honestly, with all that goes into the repair, I will always feel like there's a 50/50 chance that something won't get re-assembled perfectly, no matter who is doing it.
I just prime the oiling system everytime i cold start the engine so it has a few pounds of oil pressure when the engine starts so the phasers have pressurized oil to them before startup. Not definitely sure if this will keep the cam phasers from going bad or not but my theory is it should help ans can’t hurt anything.Alot of people that have the phaser rattle on startup do this and it keeps it from making the rattle sound.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just prime the oiling system everytime i cold start the engine so it has a few pounds of oil pressure when the engine starts so the phasers have pressurized oil to them before startup. Not definitely sure if this will keep the cam phasers from going bad or not but my theory is it should help ans can’t hurt anything.Alot of people that have the phaser rattle on startup do this and it keeps it from making the rattle sound.

How do you do this?

AVJ19SCAB

Reaction score
Had to have mine done, sounded like a tractor on cold starts until oil pressure built up, then quiet, truck was down for three days.
Cold starts now are quiet like it's supposed to be.

EA4DFE2D-B299-4842-9378-92BFE53120AB.jpeg

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hmm...I'm gonna try that.

I suppose it goes without saying that remote start is gone with this philosophy.