Achieved 17.4 MPH today on 2.5 hour trip through mountains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the 17.5 or at the 23-25? The 17.5 seems fine, the 23-25 seems a little good to me. On the other hand, if he is going by the indicated and has not calibrated it, maybe. Prior to calibrating my MPG indications (using the Engineering mode) I showed 22 or a bit over on several occasions.

I know that wasn't my post, but I can get over 18 honest MPG on my daily trip (50/50 desert highway and desert community) if I do the speed limit and are not hard on the take-offs. Hyper miling, using every technique I can think of to extend mileage, I can push high 19's. On extended road trips I have pushed over 20-21 for complete tanks. And I run my tires soft (33R/36F), I think I could do better if I ran the tires harder, but I ain't going to put up with the rougher ride.

On the other hand, I said I can get those mileages, not that I do on a regular bases. I did not buy the truck for its mileage, in fact I am pretty sure I never even looked at the EPA estimates before buying the truck. If I drive how I want to I get more like 13-15 on my daily drive. And depending on the music playing I might get in the 11's. Funny how music influences gas mileage.... Right now my Trip 2 Odo is showing 13.8 MPG for the 2400 miles since my last oil change, but normally, at the time of most oil changes, that would be in the mid 14's or low 15's. In the winter I get slightly better numbers than in the summer, and the 110+, sometimes 115+, deg F temps for the last couple weeks have not helped.

T!

The 23-25 highway claim seems significantly exaggerated, but a very uncalibrated computer reading could show it I guess. I don’t question the 17.5 mixed depending on the weight of one’s foot. I’m new to Raptor ownership, but in a year of reading on here prior to purchase I’ve never seen a claim that high.

I’ve had people on forums and in person blowing smoke about very high mileage for a couple of decades now. I recently had someone I work with claiming that his Silverado 1500 V6 was getting 34 miles per gallon on a routine trip from Phoenix to Snowflake (in the mountains), there is no way. I had a 2001 F-150 regular cab short bed 4x2 V6 with a manual that, after tuning, hand calced 23 mpg on multiple trips from Tucson to San Diego. It got over 24 on one of those trips, but I had data to back it up.

I’m hoping I can average at least 16 mpg overall with my driving being 70% highway. I will have the data on Fuelly for anyone to see. I haven’t filled up since the trip back after buying the truck, so I don’t have a hand calced number yet.

Todd Sherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who cares about the gas mileage, we have Raptors, put in Sport or Baja and smash the throttle and go :Big Laugh:

Steebo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless your highway trips are at 45 mph, show it on Fuelly or I call BS. If you’re quoting your lie-o-meter in the cluster it is likely way out of calibration, you should hand calculate it.

Guys used to claim 28-30 mpg highway on their 3/4 ton diesel trucks on the Cummins forum, I called BS on them too. Nobody would ever prove their numbers.

Heres a picture of the 17.5 claim. I was having a bit of fun a little earlier so numbers took a little hit but the last bar shows 31 for the 30 min drive. I'm not saying the computer is dead right or wrong but it's what I'm experiencing. Next time I take her on a road trip I'll post a pic of fuel milage.

20200823_105318.jpg

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres a picture of the 17.5 claim. I was having a bit of fun a little earlier so numbers took a little hit but the last bar shows 31 for the 30 min drive. I'm not saying the computer is dead right or wrong but it's what I'm experiencing. Next time I take her on a road trip I'll post a pic of fuel milage.

View attachment 150453

No issue with the 17.5 mixed claim, although the computer is usually showing ~1 mpg better than actual, but the next time you take a highway trip try hand calculating the number of miles divided by the number of gallons. 23-25 highway is significantly out of the norm for these trucks, and is a very aggressive number for a regular 3.5 EB F-150. My buddy’s 2.7 EB F-150 2wd will get hand calced 24-25 mpg on a highway trip.

Last edited:

Donm

Reaction score
I have driven to Vegas and Indiana from Colorado and each time with AC and driving 5 mph over speed limit gotten 19.4mph. This does drop pretty quick if you do over 80mph though.

V6Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
14.7 is my best, kinda sucks !! But I didn't get a Raptor to get good gas mileage !!

The best I’ve gotten is 15.5ish but that’s when I first got the truck. Now I don’t get anything better than 14.5.

We need fuel efficient driving lessons from some folks here lol.