A Ford tech's take on "THE CLUNK" (THE ONE and ONLY CLUNK THREAD)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
0516111732.jpg

0516111732.jpg

Not sure if this will work but here are the two slip yokes next to each other the new one is on the right. The old shaft part number did end in BB and new one ends in BC. Only difference i could see is the new yoke has a tighter tolerance where the splines are.

it ALMOST looks like the new yoke shaft is longer, maybe its an illusion, idk. I guess the new machined one looked nicer is all.

I knew the inner tolerances were tighter, guess its all the same on the outside. thanks for the pic !

MXrider38

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going in for my driveshaft tomorrow. Hoping for a good longterm outcome. Mine seems to have gotten really bad here in the last month.

HMan

Reaction score
Going in for my driveshaft tomorrow. Hoping for a good longterm outcome. Mine seems to have gotten really bad here in the last month.

I'm going in for my preliminary TSB assessment tomorrow: The dealership will "verify the qualifying need" and then (hopefully) order the new improved driveshaft. I'll play their game as long as they come though with the fix!

spot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Called the service department yesterday. New shaft is ordered and will be installed as soon as it arrives.

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
My dealer shafted me!

Hey all you with the clunker CHIRP/ BUMP/ CLUNK issues. I pulled the TSB off here last Thursday night after work. Went to the dealer nearest the house after work and handed over the TSB. Well we need the truck all day to access the issue. By, see ya. Went by the dealer where I bought it, not my favorite service dept but I figgered I would see just for grins.

Saw Charles, the service writer my saleman asked me to use. Decent guy it turns out, handed the TSB to Charles who looked at me like I was a computer engnieer geek for being on a forum, dealers HATE forums, he wrote me up, had the Trans guy drive it and he said YEP it clunks. Charles ordered the parts on Friday and I got the call to schedual the work. I took it by today and got it back after work washed, vacuumed and the tires were even spit shined. Nice. Told Charles THANKS and headed off.

First thing I noticed was how quiet the ride was. I also felt NOTHING WRONG! WOW! So I banged the truck in and out fo gear at a stop light swithing back and forth from drive to reverse. NICE! Seems to be fixed.

Then after a fewq minutes I realized just how diffent the damn truck felt. It had changed. Not the same mechanical feel it had. Its been tamed down. Hummmmmm? I liked a little mechanical feel and feedback. I want my clunk back! HAhahaaaaaa. Not really. Its weird though, it does feel like the whole truck / package is smoother all around. COOL! Now I will just have to reliey on my motorcycles, mainly the Buell for that mechanical feedback I like! HAhahaaaaaaa.

Crawled under to see if it was infact a new shaft and it is. Same blus sharpie marks as those in the pics in other threads. I tell ya though, the damn thing sure feels thin. Tapping on it with just my cromagnan fingernails made it sound like a Coors Lite can. Hope it don't twist off! HAhahaaaaaaa.

So my hats off to Ford for actually doing a fairly quik fix to the issue. Hope its permanent. My hat is also off to my service guy qand the dealer. Did I just say that? GAWD I have drunk the coolaid! HAhahaaaaaa.

I am happy........

BDRAG

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. Here is my shafting story.

First thing I noticed was how quiet the ride was. I also felt NOTHING WRONG! WOW! So I banged the truck in and out of gear at a stop light swithing back and forth from drive to reverse. NICE! Seems to be fixed.

So my hats off to Ford for actually doing a fairly quik fix to the issue. Hope its permanent. My hat is also off to my service guy and the dealer. Did I just say that? GAWD I have drunk the coolaid! HAhahaaaaaa.

I am happy........ For the usual BDRAG expanded post read MY DEALER SHAFTED ME. AHhahaaaaaaa.

BDRAG

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
:peace:Woo Hoo, Butt Drag!

Damn, I read that title and thought, not again dude! Glad it worked.:waytogo: