7.0 V8... Yes... Again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure people said "they could just supercharge the 6.2 if they wanted more power" and "why would ford go through the trouble" when rumors started popping up that the Gen 2 raptor was dropping the V8 and going with an EcoBoost V6

The difference is that when the EB motor was being considered for use, they were re-designing the whole shebang for the 2nd gen.

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

While I agree Ford has no answer to the Trackhawk, they don't need to. They do however need an answer to anything threatening their Raptor brand. They're literally doubling down on off road vehicles and they're going to make sure they're seen as the top player in the space.

That's kinda my point... I don't know that the TRX would be a threat to the Raptor brand any more than the Hellcat Challenger is a threat to the GT350... one of them is basically a one-trick pony with a shitload of horsepower, while the other is a more balanced solution with a different use case.

If you think about it, what would the suspension on the TRX need to be capable of if it were to match the capabilities of the Hellcat motor? You'd be looking at nearly SCORE-truck travel numbers, etc..., and I just don't see that happening. Could Ram match or even slightly exceed the suspension of the Gen 2 Raptor? Certainly... but match that suspension with a Hellcat motor, and you run into a truck that can easily out-power the capability of the suspension.

OP
OP
J

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why is this an issue.?. If you believe the EcoBoost was the right choice for the raptor, then relish in the fact you made the right decision. But how many would dump your g2 for a V8 option.?.

I wouldn't, but mainly because I don't have limitless disposable income. I would however be anxiously awaiting the day I'm in the market for a new truck.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford's strategy is to decrease the different production lines of vehicles and components, from engines to interior parts. This is boosting profits and cutting costs. Coming up with an engine just for the Raptor doesn't fit at all with their strategy. If they are ever going to put a bigger engine into the Raptor, it will be a tweaked version of something they are putting in a lot of vehicles, so a boosted 5.0 seems plausible. A vehicle specific 7.0 or 7.3? Not likely. They are working toward going all in with the Ecoboost engines and reversing course for their non-commercial line doesn't make any sense.

Your logic is sound but your facts are not. Ford is developing a big V8 for use in heavy duty trucks. The only question is what other things, if any, they will use it in.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If Ford simply shoehorns a SuperDuty V8 in the Raptor that is heavier, thirstier, and comes with less HP/torque than the V6TT, I wonder how popular it would be?

3.5 EcoBoost already outsells the V8 in F-150 lineup and would probably do the same in the Raptor if the V6TT was the more powerful motor. But at least it would be something for the V8-or-die crowd and wouldn't cost Ford much to do.

If the V8 comes with a supercharger, it would probably be at least a $10k engine option and that would negate any resale hit V6TT owners feel.

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably not, but man wouldn't it be awesome?

Imagine how much power these things would have with a blower.

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

What is your source for this? What parts do the two engines share?

Call RBM.

Same crank, rods, pistons, block, head and injection system. The other ecoboosts are not DI/PI engines and have diffrent heads, piston, and injection system. (That's just physics). The raptor and GT get bigger rods and crank. In fact guys are putting them in the other ecoboosts. I'm unsure if The intake is The same or not. I know The cover from the gt fits. The gt has diffrent exhaust manifolds and turbos. I'm unsure if it uses the same valves and cams. But looking at the data from my buddy who wrote the tune for the gt it probably has the same cams. The VE tables look the same.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Call RBM.

Same crank, rods, pistons, block, head and injection system. The other ecoboosts are not DI/PI engines and have diffrent heads, piston, and injection system. (That's just physics). The raptor and GT get bigger rods and crank. In fact guys are putting them in the other ecoboosts. I'm unsure if The intake is The same or not. I know The cover from the gt fits. The gt has diffrent exhaust manifolds and turbos. I'm unsure if it uses the same valves and cams. But looking at the data from my buddy who wrote the tune for the gt it probably has the same cams. The VE tables look the same.

I was hoping for something more authoritative.

The other EBs are also dual injected, by the way.

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was hoping for something more authoritative.

The other EBs are also dual injected, by the way.

Not until 2017 and the part numbers are diffrent. I know using the internet and having engine building friends is hard but you should try it sometime.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not until 2017 and the part numbers are diffrent. I know using the internet and having engine building friends is hard but you should try it sometime.

Says the guy who just claimed the other ecoboosts weren't dual injected. :ROFLJest:

Claims from friends on the internet are not only not authoritative, they are not credible.

:win:

Beauf

Reaction score
Your logic is sound but your facts are not. Ford is developing a big V8 for use in heavy duty trucks. The only question is what other things, if any, they will use it in.

That may be the case, but people are also talking about a 7.3 or a V10 or 7.0 all going to Ford Performance indicating they are all for Raptors. A 7.0 made for a heavy duty truck built for hauling extreme weight may not be well suited for the Raptor without substantial, expensive changes. It is also possible they would design it from the ground up with the dual purpose in mind. So it is possible, but I don't see it as likely.

Of course, I don't claim any inside knowledge, just my observations. I have been involved in enough stuff where the public claimed to have heard something from a reliable source to know that the info is almost always way off and probably entirely made up by someone in the rumor chain. If I am wrong, I have no problem admitting my reading of the tea leaves was off.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That may be the case, but people are also talking about a 7.3 or a V10 or 7.0 all going to Ford Performance indicating they are all for Raptors. A 7.0 made for a heavy duty truck built for hauling extreme weight may not be well suited for the Raptor without substantial, expensive changes. It is also possible they would design it from the ground up with the dual purpose in mind. So it is possible, but I don't see it as likely.

Of course, I don't claim any inside knowledge, just my observations. I have been involved in enough stuff where the public claimed to have heard something from a reliable source to know that the info is almost always way off and probably entirely made up by someone in the rumor chain. If I am wrong, I have no problem admitting my reading of the tea leaves was off.

Oh I wasn't saying I think it's likely. I was just saying the engine is being developed already, which is an important distinction and certainly makes this idea a lot closer to feasible (though, again, far from likely).

Ford will most likely use an iron block for durability in a real truck motor, which would make it ill suited for the Raptor, which is essentially already an expensive lawn dart.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter