Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

7.0 V8... Yes... Again

Discussion in 'Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]' started by jabroni619, May 19, 2018.

1. Truckzor

Truckzor FRF Addict

I just have a hard time calling anything in the low 14s fast. That's Honda Accord territory.

sdorn likes this.
  2. Hockster

Hockster My 45ft Bluewater Party Supporting Member

What I heard is the 7.0L will be a special performance and the 7.3 will the new v8 6.8L replacement

3. BurnOut

BurnOut Full Access Member

Holy balls, this again. As has been mentioned elsewhere in the thread, if Ford decides that the Raptor needs more power, it's a hell of a lot easier to upgrade the turbos/tune than it is to install/certify a whole different engine. Add in the fact that dealers who price their EB Raptors fairly aren't having trouble moving inventory, and it's difficult to believe that Ford would go to the trouble/expense.

IMO, even the Ram Rebel TRX wouldn't necessarily be a motivator... look at the Hellcat Charger and the Trackhawk... Ford doesn't have an answer for either of those vehicles, and seems to be just fine with that fact. The long and short of it is that the Raptor was designed to be a balanced package... engine, transmission, suspension, drive modes, etc... all complimenting one another to offer an overall solution that offers a driver experience like nothing else on the market. The GT is another example of this philosophy... it's certainly not the most powerful car on the market, and if I had to guess, Ford's position on that is ZFG (Zero Fucks Given)... because the overall package works.

Ironwood likes this.
  4. jabroni619

jabroni619 FRF Addict

All true statements, and it still doesn't make it impossible or even implausible.

I'm sure people said "they could just supercharge the 6.2 if they wanted more power" and "why would ford go through the trouble" when rumors started popping up that the Gen 2 raptor was dropping the V8 and going with an EcoBoost V6

5. BC119

BC119 Full Access Member

There is a 0.0% chance that Ford puts a 7.0 in any of their non-commercial trucks. The only thing that motor will be going in is their 550, 650, 750. They are under a crunch to raise fleet fuel economy and you guys think they'll let you nutcases rip around in a 500+ whp 7.0 getting like 3mpg combined?

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

I agree, there's quick and there's fast. The Raptor and even 3.5 Ecos in F150s are quick, but they're far from fast.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  6. maxemus

maxemus Full Access Member

More like 550k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Truckzor

Truckzor FRF Addict

Probably not, but man wouldn't it be awesome?

Imagine how much power these things would have with a blower.

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

What is your source for this? What parts do the two engines share?

8. brc misfit

brc misfit FRF Addict

Why is this an issue.?. If you believe the EcoBoost was the right choice for the raptor, then relish in the fact you made the right decision. But how many would dump your g2 for a V8 option.?.

9. LVsFINEST

LVsFINEST Full Access Member

We see GT500 leaks like a year in advance, yet not a single vid, pic or shred of evidence for a 7.0 Raptor. Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if it were true, but it ain't happening this year. If there's an update for 2019 it'll probably be pretty minor.

While I agree Ford has no answer to the Trackhawk, they don't need to. They do however need an answer to anything threatening their Raptor brand. They're literally doubling down on off road vehicles and they're going to make sure they're seen as the top player in the space.

10. Beauf

Beauf Member

Ford's strategy is to decrease the different production lines of vehicles and components, from engines to interior parts. This is boosting profits and cutting costs. Coming up with an engine just for the Raptor doesn't fit at all with their strategy. If they are ever going to put a bigger engine into the Raptor, it will be a tweaked version of something they are putting in a lot of vehicles, so a boosted 5.0 seems plausible. A vehicle specific 7.0 or 7.3? Not likely. They are working toward going all in with the Ecoboost engines and reversing course for their non-commercial line doesn't make any sense.