6.2 intermittent valve train ticking noise at start up ??????????????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silnus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try using a heavier weight oil, this may help remedy the sewing machine noise from the valve-train.

ghost rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does this as well it sounds like the rods are knocking a little and only when cold and for a couple of seconds. I am very familiar with this because I had the same noise with my old Bronco with the 351 motor with 100k miles on it. I changed the rod and main bearings on the 351 and the noise went away as the bearings were worn. Maybe ford is running the tolerances a little looser on the 6.2L I guess when I get a lot more miles on the 6.2 and the noise does not get any worse I should be ok.

RCam

Reaction score
6.2 L Engine Knock and Valve Ticking?

Have a 2012 Raptor with the 6.2

On COLD starts and sometimes even on warmer days, I get some engine knock (sounds like in the block) and some ticking for about 5 to 10 seconds till the oil circulates (I guess)

On a Sheep hunt, the temp got to around 10 degrees in the a.m. and this is when it was the most obvious. Knock lasted till it warmed up.

I'm using Amsoil 5W-20 synthetic as recommended by my independent mechanic who builds and drives his own race cars.

Took it to the dealer and of course the cold start produced no audible ticking. Typical. They wanted to change the oil to Motorcraft 5W-20 synthetic blend and start an oil consumption test. It uses about a quart every 5000 miles.

Anyone had similar issues or heard the same?

JeepSRT8

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get the same sounds. Took it into Stealership and got the standard "Sounds normal to us" Now I just up my music a little bit and noise is gone =)

MajorAR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lots and lots of complaints about the ticking here on the board. Seems to be normal.

Not sure about the oil consumption part. In SoCal....it's the norm to see smoking vehicles going down the freeway. That's when you know you are using some oil!

:devilfinger:

RCam

Reaction score
I think that's a lot of oil as well. They scribed the dipstick and told me to bring it in every 1000 for them to check it. Taped up the stick and the filler cap

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

Ticking is normal? Hmmmmm....

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

Anyone using Amsoil?