5th Wheel RV’s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting that Tasca has the cooler on sale for $89.59.
Shipping is $32.93 additional!
Sales tax (on $89.59) is $10.12! - Didn't know sales tax is computed on shipping as well! Is that legal, or just additional mark-up??

Oh well, $132.64 is still worth it, I guess, for towing my Airstream.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sales tax (on $89.59) is $10.12! - Didn't know sales tax is computed on shipping as well! Is that legal, or just additional mark-up??

Look around - I've seen good deals on that part number in the past. It's just been a while.

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I went with it because I bought some other parts from them as well, so overall my shipping was about $42. High, but the overall price was still really good. There are other popular vendors selling the same cooler for $189 + $25-40 shipping.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I went through the "trying to keep it cool" rigmarole on my ecoboost, I towed 9k+ with a large frontal area all over the Rockies and west. Full race radiator made a big difference, wasn't enough, aux trans cooler helped a little, wasn't enough, straight water with water wetter in the summer, then switch back to coolant in the winter also helped, wasn't enough. Mishimoto intercooler helped, wasn't enough. I came to the conclusion that the biggest problem isn't cooling stack, its heat extraction from the bay. Had I held on to that truck I was prepared to hack the hood and put in a set of super snake heat extractors, it would have been a huge pain in the winter and the engine bay would have been a mess, I think it would have solved the problem. The truth is I needed a 3/4 ton truck for that job, putting band-aids on the ecoboost was just $3k that should have been used for trade in.

I am hard on that trucks image, the truth is with those upgrades I was out pulling most pre-2010 diesels on the hills, I just hated having to keep one eye on the coolant temp, one on the IAT and two on the road, alternative was to set the cruise to 35mph and just be "that guy".

On the raptor I think opening up the heat extractor outlets would help out a ton. You are still contending with all the belly armor on these trucks. They really aren't meant to tow. Sticking a blower on the top of the engine is going to make this problem even worse, so do what you can to get the blower cool. In addition put the biggest heat exchanger and pump you possibly can on it, you do not want it to heat soak: As soon as your IAT's start to climb the PCM will start to pull timing, pulling timing puts a lot of heat into the engine. If you were serious about pulling grades with a supercharged raptor doing the swap to E85 would be worthwhile in the engine cooling department. Although the blower and extra power feel great while towing they do the opposite of what you really want, your increasing dynamic compression and heating the air charge, both of which are unhappy enemies to pump gas.

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The larger cooler was standard on the upper truck models, so it's not just a "saudi" cooler. They should be readily available at all of the usual suspects.

I used the larger B&M pan with their extended firewall mounted dip stick/filler.

Pokahpolice

Reaction score
There is no way you'll be able to do a 5th wheel. As stated above, the short bed alone will be a no-go. There are some very expensive solutions for short beds but then you run into the tongue weight. Even the small ultra-light 5th wheels are running about 1200lb tongue weights.

I only have 9k on my truck and I'm probably going to trade it in because the payload is too limiting for me. I just purchased a compact tractor and trailer and this thing can barely handle that. The tractor w/ backhoe probably weighs about 3500lbs. My guess is the tongue weight is around 400lbs-500lbs when loaded correctly. The thing has plenty of power but it simply can't handle any tongue weight. I'm thinking about adding a weight distribution hitch on the utility trailer. I'll certainly be the only one rolling around a compact tractor needing a WDH.

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pull a 22' trailer with a 1942 WWII searchlight and associated power plant with a total overall weight of 6,000 lbs. and a tongue weight of 500 lbs. The SCAB does great with it.

IMG-9266-1.jpg