5 point harness mounts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ar4x4offroad

Ar4x4offroad

Reaction score
Another point, harnesses without a neck restraint is definitely a bad idea. Sorry guys, not trying to shit on this thread. But some of these things can be dangerous. Harnesses are designed so your body doesn't move. Your neck will snap forward on an impact if you don't have a restraint to keep it from moving forward as well.

Right but most neck restraints mount universal to many diff belt harnesses. The way it is mounted doesn't effect that? They both can have neck restraints that provide the same protection. Most people just wear neck collar style ones anyways. Has no impact on harness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its attached to the rear pillar to the same bolt that holds the rear seat belt guide

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 01:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 AM ----------

Its attached in all the stock locations. I thought it would be safe what happens if you don't have a bar, I haven't researched

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

There's a few things, but the main difference is the difference in zest belt vs harness design. Seat belts allow for movement, that doesn't seem good, but it allows your body to move away from crushes and other things. Harness are design to keep your from moving at all. If you roll over, your harness is gonna keep you in place even if the roof is crushing down on you.

There's also certain geometry that harnesses are supposed to be at, the stock rear mount may or may not be in that. There are some more experience and knowledgeable than I in this field. I just want people to know as much as they can about it and make their own decisions. I know Trey is knowledgeable here, hopefully he will chime in as well.

---------- Post added 02-23-2014 at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was 02-22-2014 at 11:59 PM ----------

Right but most neck restraints mount universal to many diff belt harnesses. The way it is mounted doesn't effect that? They both can have neck restraints that provide the same protection. Most people just wear neck collar style ones anyways. Has no impact on harness

Correct, I didn't mean for that to piggy back on to my post about harnesses with out cage. Sorry it read that way. It was just another point I thought of because I never see anyone running restraints at these events, including the ones running harnesses.

OP
OP
Ar4x4offroad

Ar4x4offroad

Reaction score
If you're pushing the truck hard enough to justify a harness setup, then you should definitely be considering a roll cage.

Not really pushing the truck to hard need one but the comfort off road vs seat belt is what I'm looking for.

BramageDained

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really just wish the seats were more like sports car ones with real side bolsters instead of 'truck' seats.

Read this:

6 Things You Need to Consider Before Buying Harnesses - OG Racing Blog

I had race seats and 6-points(used factoy mount points and a bar that went from both B-pillars and the floor) in my Evo and I don't know that I'd want a crotch strap in the truck for bouncing offroading(since I don't push it that hard), but, I wouldn't want a cheap 4-point that you would submarine under either.

The car was to the point where a cage should have been added, my truck probably never will be.

You absolutely cannot correctly mount a 5/6 point belt with the factory seats, as there is no way to run the crotch strap(s) through the seat. There's also no windows for the shoulder straps.

There's this option in a 4-point from Schroth designed to prevent submarining under the belt:

https://www.schrothracing.com/competition/profi-asm/profi-ii-asm

The inboard shoulder strap is designed to give to prevent submarining under the belts.

I'm not willing to give up my comfy heated/cooled/power seats for buckets and proper belts. Unless, at some point in the future the truck ends up a caged toy.

You shouldn't use the back seat for people if you have a harness bar installed, as they will break their face on it in an accident.

I'd maybe look at something like this instead, made to lock the 3-points in position to better secure you in the seat.
http://www.cg-lock.com/index.html

A friend crashed his Evo on a track this summer(brake failure) and with the factory belts, his head touched the passenger side door(wearing a helmet). There's in-car GoPro video of this, he was doing ~58mph at impact.

3-points are fine on a frontal impact, sides or rolling, a harness will better keep you where you belong, but, you should have a cage at that point too.

Video shared with permission:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ar4x4offroad

Ar4x4offroad

Reaction score
I really just wish the seats were more like sports car ones with real side bolsters instead of 'truck' seats.

Read this:

6 Things You Need to Consider Before Buying Harnesses - OG Racing Blog

I had race seats and 6-points(used factoy mount points and a bar that went from both B-pillars and the floor) in my Evo and I don't know that I'd want a crotch strap in the truck for bouncing offroading(since I don't push it that hard), but, I wouldn't want a cheap 4-point that you would submarine under either.

The car was to the point where a cage should have been added, my truck probably never will be.

You absolutely cannot correctly mount a 5/6 point belt with the factory seats, as there is no way to run the crotch strap(s) through the seat.

There's this option in a 4-point from Schroth designed to prevent submarining under the belt:

https://www.schrothracing.com/competition/profi-asm/profi-ii-asm

The inboard shoulder strap is designed to give to prevent submarining under the belts.

I'm not willing to give up my comfy heated/cooled/power seats for buckets and proper belts. Unless, at some point in the future the truck ends up a caged toy.

I would maybe consider the schroth belts with a harness bar that was removable for when not at events. You shouldn't use the back seat for people if you have a harness bar installed, as they will break their face on it in an accident.

A friend crashed his Evo on a track this summer(brake failure) and with the factory belts, his head touched the passenger side door(wearing a helmet). There's in-car GoPro video of this, he was doing ~58mph at impact.

3-points are fine on a frontal impact, sides or rolling, a harness will better keep you where you belong.

Video shared with permission:

Ya this is what I'm talking about haha.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have been researching this question myself for several weeks. What I have learned is...
- Long runs of webbing are very questionable because webbing is designed to stretch. The longer the webbing, the more stretch when an extreme load is applied. Some stretch is good - it keeps the safety equipment from breaking you up or cutting you in half. (Just ask a rock climber.) But too much stretch, particularly at peak loads in a confined space, is dangerous.
- The ideal angle of the shoulder restraints is 20 degrees downward to the rear. It is difficult to achieve that optimum angle except by purposeful design. And that will almost certainly involve steel hardware specifically designed for the application.
- An anti-submarine crotch strap must go down through a purpose built seat and angle backwards toward the rear of the truck. A crotch strap must never be installed so that it merely loops over the front edge of a stock seat. This is worse than no anti-submarine strap at all because it actually makes submarining under the lap belt more likely.
As a consequence of my research I have concluded that I can be content with the factory 3-point belt system, or I can invest in a race seat and a roll cage or other hardware necessary to properly install safety harnesses in a way that actually enhances safety.

cups

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well with all this said, I'll wait. I have a CG lock in the mail. I'll post how I like it later.

---------- Post added at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 AM ----------

Ar4, thanks for asking this. It been discussed before but I think this is the most info packed thread on the subject.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter