4x4 vs 2x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Full time 4wd in range rover . You mean AWD portrayed as a fake off road vehicle with real 4x4 lol

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@LekRap I think you're right about driving constantly 4wd, I will sure not to the either. It is extremely valuable to to get insight from many people, and not to mess things up.

Maybe the philosophy of 4wd is different with different vehicles. Audis, Porsches Range Rovers (mostly) have full-time 4wd so I don't think it is about generically about 4wd but more of so why the 4wd exists in that car for. For trucks it is so much different than sports cars.

These types of 4wd drive trains have a central differential between the front and rear wheels allowing all wheels to travel at different speeds (required when going around corners). Typically these systems are called AWD, now on the off road inclined vehicles such as your range rover when you twist the terrain dial on the dash it will lock the center diff to give you an even power balance between the front and rear wheels (or on ancient awd toyota corollas there was a difflock button). The raptor does not have an open diff in the transfer case, hence the restrictions on driving it in 4wd on dry pavement, as there is no room for slipping of the tires as the truck turns and the front wheels need to turn faster than the rears as they take a wider line through the corner than the back of the truck does.

D

Deleted member 12951

I sure hope that the Gen2 raptor is not AWD. That will suck if they do that.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
check out the "4A" below. The 2017 raptor will have awd modde when you need it.. Have you ever driven in a situation where it just started to snow and the snow is beginning to stick but shifting into 4wd is not called for but you wish the truck would shift for you when you lose traction? Well the 2017 will do this for you when you shift into "4A"

2017-Ford-F-150-Raptor-Interior-9-1024x768.jpg

I sure hope that the Gen2 raptor is not AWD. That will suck if they do that.

D

Deleted member 12951

Oh, so it isn't full time AWD and you can keep it in 4x2 if you choose and just put it in 4A for AWD if that is what you want. That's fine, I was going to say full time AWD would suck.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hate to brake it down to you. Range Rover is likely to take on any Pick up truck. :)

www.arkkeo.com

I don't know about anyone else, but I sure didn't see any Range Rovers on the course at TRR or when I was at Metal Mashers in Moab!

I would, however, LOVE to see one at either event and put it to the test!!!

What exactly is the suspension travel of a Rover?

Where exactly would you mount a winch?

What kind of mods are required for 37" tires?

:ROFLJest::ROFLJest::ROFLJest:

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else, but I sure didn't see any Range Rovers on the course at TRR or when I was at Metal Mashers in Moab!

I would, however, LOVE to see one at either event and put it to the test!!!

What exactly is the suspension travel of a Rover?

Where exactly would you mount a winch?

What kind of mods are required for 37" tires?

:ROFLJest::ROFLJest::ROFLJest:

Well you would mount the winch on the front like any other vehicle, suspension travel up front is 10.2 and in the rear it has 12.2. And a stock Defender will out wheel any stock truck so