4WD drive noise IWE actuators scraping noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeaThomas

Reaction score
My 2019 with less than 10000 miles is having that possible vacuum problem. The dealership is really trying to ************ get it. They said they couldn't duplicate and they only have one trans tech. I don't think they know what the hell they're doing. Is this something I should fight over? Is this a lemon law issue? Does it continue after repair. There's so much on YouTube I can't believe they don't know what to do. Also they couldn't give me a loaner or rent me a car using warranty. Said rental car coverage is only on extended warranty I bought. It doesn't go into effect till regular warranty is up. I'm thinking about this constantly. They can't put me in que either. Said I have to leave it wit them for 3 weeks. #%*€

fueler

Reaction score
I had my 2014 F150 in twice to the dealership for the same IWE issues. I know this one isn't a Raptor let alone the same gen IWE system (at least I don't think it is), but to answer your question I'd start calling other Ford dealers around your area and get their take on how they will handle this for you. You know it's a problem, and so does the service advisor as they are not new to the game. Unless it's a new service advisor coming over from a different brand for example. Mine went bad under the 3 year warranty, then that 2nd set went bad within the 1 year parts warranty but was outside the bumper to bumper 3 year. My dealer gave me no BS and fixed it both times easy peasy. And probably replace both sides when only one was needed. That's why I say go elsewhere.

Either that, or stay where you are but do your research on this. Learn how the system works. On my 14 F150 it was a vacuum operated system that had a check valve, that often failed, but when vacuum was supplied to the wheel hub IWE's they pulled back and allowed 2wd (meaning the front wheels were not engaged and needlessly spinning the front diff). If the valve was defective or hose split, partial vacuum was applied and then the hubs would try to engage making that horrible grinding noise. I'm not sure how the Raptor system is and wanted to find out, hoping it's better than the system I had on my older truck. I do have my truck ordered, and went to the Service dept and parts to ask them. What's the sales history on hubs for these trucks and does service see them in for that issue. I got the reply I thought I'd get from service. He didn't say either way really, just that for the Raptors they don't come in often for that or really anything else he could think of. Then I went to parts. That guy was just oblivious. I work in parts at a non Ford dealership. You know your brand and you know what fails. This guy didn't know how to answer my question and I even regret asking it. Doesn't matter, I'm getting the truck anyway, happily! Out of curiosity I was asking just to see and hope they updated the IWE system from the gen 12 series trucks.

I don't think it's a lemon law issue until the truck has been back for the same thing within a certain period of time. I think that changes depending on the State you live in.
Should you fight over it? I had a friend with F250 that even had a video of a dash light issue, on his phone. Recorded it, showed it to the service advisor and he said it has to do it with the Ford Tech to see it. So, see what they say about that if you were to take it and record the noise. If they allow it, maybe take it and get to make the noise and then go back.

But go in to the dealer like you know exactly what is wrong, how the system works, and your expectations on how to get it fixed. Try to be polite, reasonable, and press hard for a trained tech to figure this out. I don't know how you feel about this, but if you think you can trust your advisor to work for you, or with you, give him a 10 spot for lunch and ask him to get his best guy on this so it gets resolved quickly.

OP
OP
DeaThomas

DeaThomas

Reaction score
It depends on previous setting. Sometimes going from 4WD modes to 2WD it does it in 2WD. It's under 10k miles. I talked to lawyer this morning. This is a class actionLemon law, Ford recall issue. I won't be happy till Fords not happy. Stand by for updates

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It depends on previous setting. Sometimes going from 4WD modes to 2WD it does it in 2WD. It's under 10k miles. I talked to lawyer this morning. This is a class actionLemon law, Ford recall issue. I won't be happy till Fords not happy. Stand by for updates

What? You’re going off the deep end. This is in no way a safety issue and therefore a recall is irrelevant.

The IWEs are a simple vacuum actuated system. There are extensive diagnostics available in the Workshop Manual to easily identify the root cause and repair the issue.

My recommendation is to call Ford customer care and open a case. They can also assist with getting you a loaner, which your dealer should have done in the first place if they needed to keep your truck longer than 4 hours.

You’ll catch a lot more flies with honey than vinegar. Getting angry and threatening lawsuits will only make things worse. Calmly explain your situation to the rep and make it clear that you simply want your vehicle repaired properly, and if the dealer is not capable of that then request involvement from the area technical field rep.

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@FordTechOne is 100% right, call Ford Customer Care and go from there, threatening with a lawyer will only get the dealer and Fords back against the wall.. especially over this.

I had an IWE issue on my Gen 1, it was simply condensation and that was it.