37s v 35s, any hard evidence?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a few websites that compare differences and pros and cons for both sizes. Basically what I recall was they said 37” would be better for rocky terrain and the 35” would be better for Baja style desert speed running. But I don’t recall the exact reasoning. And as stated above yes 1” more ground clearance... I ordered 37” pkg mainly for all the suspension upgrades not just tore size change. And who knows if I’ll every really get it off road much but the option is nice to have if I need it.

if this were the case 6100 and TT class trucks wouldn't run 39s/40s. there's no "upgrades" they've simply tuned the same 3.1 Fox to accommodate 37s, this beats having a shock tuner dial it in for you, which is difficult when most are out west.

So of course I want the bigger tires. Size matters, everyone knows that. Give me an extra 2” and I’d have a new profession.

So, are 37s demonstrably better than 35s off road? If so, how?

All else equal, do they give you 2” extra ground clearance?

Are they worse on road? if so, how?

Now remember I posted this in the Gen3 forum so I’m speaking of 37s from factory. I realize any past evidence in some respects will not be applicable as I believe this to be the first factory 37” but tell me if I’m wrong.

I think I’ll wait a year for supply to increase and prices to level before making a move. Ty.

Yes this is the first OEM truck to receive 37s from the factory. The main reason to run them is ground clearance, you also get the benefit of more sidewall for better control and feel off road. There are more members who can go in depth on why to run 37s for off roading, I just don't want to ramble on about it.

cons to 37s? price to replace, loss of limited headroom when parking in certain areas (I'm on 37s so I use another vehicle) and if you run your truck hard off road you can blow the fender flares clean off lol. I've been on 37s so long I don't even remember the difference, my F350 Temor is on 35s but not even comparable.

spizike9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only 1 pound diff when it is sitting still. So 37s look really good but once you its starting rolling, the advantage goes to 35s in terms of accelration and braking.

And I be the 37 beadlock wheels are much heavier. They were heavier in the GEN2 when compared to the base wheel.
Exactly, like I said the 35 will be peppier. Which will also make it brake better.
However that’s good info on the beadlocks being heavier. Didn’t even really think about that.

Todd H

Reaction score
I had 35's and went to 37's thinking I would run the 35's as a winter setup in the midwest. Put the 35's back on for a week and have been on the 37's ever since. Better all around. Highway, snow, desert, whatever....

spizike9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if this were the case 6100 and TT class trucks wouldn't run 39s/40s. there's no "upgrades" they've simply tuned the same 3.1 Fox to accommodate 37s, this beats having a shock tuner dial it in for you, which is difficult when most are out west.

Yes this is the first OEM truck to receive 37s from the factory. The main reason to run them is ground clearance, you also get the benefit of more sidewall for better control and feel off road. There are more members who can go in depth on why to run 37s for off roading, I just don't want to ramble on about it.

cons to 37s? price to replace, loss of limited headroom when parking in certain areas (I'm on 37s so I use another vehicle) and if you run your truck hard off road you can blow the fender flares clean off lol. I've been on 37s so long I don't even remember the difference, my F350 Temor is on 35s but not even comparable.

Your Tremor on 35s is overall probably bigger than your Raptor on 37s right?

Last edited:

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Youre Tremor on 35s is overall probably bigger than your Raptor on 37s right?

yeah my Tremor is 81.3 inches tall and I believe my Raptor measured out at 80? I'd have to measure again.. all I remember is parking it in my garage and having 3/8" of clearance from the weather stripping to the roof on a 7ft garage opening lol.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
And I be the 37 beadlock wheels are much heavier. They were heavier in the GEN2 when compared to the base wheel.

I would expect the 17" bead lock for the 35s to weigh about the same as the 17" beadlock on the 37. If the weight of the wheel makes that big of a difference, plenty of aftermarket options. Honestly, I would not base my decision between 35 and 37 package based on the wheel. Heck, I wouldn't even base it on the tire. Perhaps ironically, wheel and tire might be the least important part of the 37 package. It's the warranty, suspension, spare tire, blue interior that are going to impact decisions.

Thrush

Reaction score
Spec sheet lists the 37 Raptor at 80.7 inches. 35 is 79.8 inches. It'll fit in my home garage without issue, but not so sure about the parking garage at work (it's under the listed height, but you're coming down the ramp at an angle...)

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think the suspension on the 37s is really an upgrade over the 35s, more that they appropriately sized/tuned so that the 37 package doesn't result in worse suspension than the 35s. Similarly, if you put 35s on a truck with the 37 package suspension, it would perform worse than on a standard Raptor. That's the way I understood it anyway.

I would say for the vast majority, they are not going to take the vehicle offroading in conditions where the bigger tire size is going to be a noticeable improvement. So it mostly comes down to aesthetics. For me personally, I don't feel like 37s look that much better than 35s. Maybe others can, maybe I'll spend more time staring at tires in the near future, but I can't look at a tire and immediately tell whether it's a 35 or 37.

the beefier shock mounts, beefier shocks & (possibly?) bigger A-arms/ball joints would be an upgrade w/ or w/o 37”s

it’s always better to go bigger in the suspension/braking/frame dept, will never be a drawback (unless we are talking huge weight gains which we aren’t) it’s like the peace of mind rolling w/ an F350 when 90% of the time you’re only hauling 75% of what an F250 is rated for- overkill? Maybe- but it’s only going to tow the lighter loads that much easier.

Lastly- time & the impatient guinea pigs will only be able to tell....but if the gen3 suspension/ride height tends to get tired & sag/droop over time like gen1 & gen2 (& indef don’t think it’s relegated to the rear leafs alone) then it’s better to start off 1” taller overall & w/ beefier shocks to begin w/ if that turns out to be inevitability