35 vs 37 Package Engine Load While Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pulp

Reaction score
I currently drive a Gen 2. When towing up hill, in the summer when its 100 degrees outside, my engine runs a little hot. I've never overheated, but I get nervous watching the temperature gauge rise.

On a gen 3, would 37 inch tires increase engine load significantly enough to add a significant amount heat to the engine while towing? Would an after market intercooler help significantly when towing?

Ox3721

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve pulled a ~5k pound TT plus 1K of cargo from Phoenix up through the mountains of AZ during the summer with my 2021 37 truck and so far no cooling problems.

About the only thing I don’t like, even with a WDH, the squat is a little more than I want, so I’ll soon be installing +1”F/+1.5”R Eibach springs and the Air Lift 1000 air bag kit.

If you don’t plan to tune the truck, stick with the stock IC in my opinion. The best ones are front mount and can block some airflow to the radiator. If you actually did have cooling issues, you would be better off looking at a larger, performance radiator, like from Mishimoto.

Ox3721

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, I remember hearing there were some minor changes to the cooling system from Gen2 to Gen3 and overall airflow on the stock Gen3 is better.