2022 Ford Lightning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least wait until we get some information on the Lighting before you start getting conflicted. It very well could be fun to drive, and serviceable for trips to Home Depot, but utter crap for drives out of town, towing, etc.

I mean conflicted between electric vs gas. Already know what EV's offer. Its assume most people would have as an EV for a 2nd vehicle for local driving. The down side is they hate high duty which is weight and discharge power, which the lightning is.

blwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just don’t know wtf is going on with the Gen 3 and why why why can’t the public know the HP/TQ numbers of this truck yet? Is Ford trying to keep potential Customers on the hook, until the truck starts being produced and let’s the cat out of the bag? Just such a delay.
I wonder if it has anything to do with the Lightning having the most HP/TQ of any *current* truck... Maybe that's why they are releasing it before they announce the power of the Gen 3??

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
The original Fisker Karma had a solar panel roof that was able to generate enough power to run some accessories in the vehicle.

From Wikipedia: "The Karma includes as standard a solar paneled roof manufactured by Asola Advanced and Automotive Solar Systems GmbH, a Quantum Technologies affiliate, to aid the cabin climate control system. The solar roof is capable of generating a half kilowatt-hour a day and was estimated to provide up to 4 to 5 miles (6.4–8.0 km) of additional range a week assuming continuously sunny days; however, the solar panels as delivered only recharge the 12-volt lead-acid accessory battery."

This was 10 years ago from a half baked EV startup from a guy who was fantastic at drawing cars but not designing or actually building them. It's a fair assumption that an actual OEM could improve on this idea and actually make solar tech work on the Lightning even if it were for small things like running the AC or heat for you while you're out of the vehicle on a hot/cold day.

Last edited:

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if it has anything to do with the Lightning having the most HP/TQ of any *current* truck... Maybe that's why they are releasing it before they announce the power of the Gen 3??

Well we all kinda know the EV trucks will put out the most power in the light truck lineup. Will be the fastest 0-60. But that’s an EV. Can’t see this having any affect on the F-150 ice lineup, especially the Raptor.

Maybe it’s something to do with the TRX and until Fords ready to start building, there keeping quiet. Not sure what else it can be.

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The original Fisher Karma had a solar panel roof that was able to generate enough power to run some accessories in the vehicle.

From Wikipedia: "The Karma includes as standard a solar paneled roof manufactured by Asola Advanced and Automotive Solar Systems GmbH, a Quantum Technologies affiliate, to aid the cabin climate control system. The solar roof is capable of generating a half kilowatt-hour a day and was estimated to provide up to 4 to 5 miles (6.4–8.0 km) of additional range a week assuming continuously sunny days; however, the solar panels as delivered only recharge the 12-volt lead-acid accessory battery."

This was 10 years ago from a half baked EV startup with a guy who was fantastic at drawing cars but not designing or actually building them. It's a fair assumption that an actual OEM could improve on this idea and actually make solar tech work on the Lightning even if it were for small things like running the AC or heat for you while you're out of the vehicle on a hot/cold day.

12 panels to charge all day to get a 37 mile range.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well we all kinda know the EV trucks will put out the most power in the light truck lineup. Will be the fastest 0-60. But that’s an EV. Can’t see this having any affect on the F-150 ice lineup, especially the Raptor.

I was going to suggest the possibility that Ford tries to set this up as more of utility/work truck rather than performance. However, I just can't see them going that route, if it's even realistic, while using the Lightning name.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was going to suggest the possibility that Ford tries to set this up as more of utility/work truck rather than performance. However, I just can't see them going that route, if it's even realistic, while using the Lightning name.
EV pickups are going to happen, big time. Think of all the states that will mandate their entire work truck fleet be electric the day they're available. They may save the Lightning name for the street rod, but maybe not. We'll see. It's clever enough that they may decide that they'll use it across the line and call the drag racer the Lightning R or something.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
EV pickups are going to happen, big time. Think of all the states that will mandate their entire work truck fleet be electric the day they're available. They may save the Lightning name for the street rod, but maybe not. We'll see. It's clever enough that they may decide that they'll use it across the line and call the drag racer the Lightning R or something.

I think we are long way from that happening for pickup trucks. Delivery vehicles would be the first to head this way I think. Because they have a more predictable/manageable use, they tend to be larger corporations that could invest in an EV fleet, and they are more visible to consumers who might care about that. Even then, we have lots of delivery drivers using their personal vehicle, and it'll be hard to mandate that all Grubhub (or whatever) drivers use EVs.

I would think work trucks are used even more frequently as personal vehicles. That seems to be the case, particularly for small or self-owned businesses. Just look at lawn services, are you going to dictate that illegal aliens need to trade in their 90's pickup for a new Lightning? And of course, if you need to have over a 300 mile range for your work use, you can't dependably rely on EVs.

I think we are heading in the EV direction. There is no doubt about that. However, I have my doubts that we'll even reach 50% EVs on the road. Too many yet be dealt with issues with battery production and disposal that could slow or end progress, and too many situations where ICE looks like it will always be superior.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think we are long way from that happening for pickup trucks.
You could be right. Then I think about California ...

Delivery vehicles would be the first to head this way I think. Because they have a more predictable/manageable use, they tend to be larger corporations that could invest in an EV fleet, and they are more visible to consumers who might care about that.
Good point.

are you going to dictate that illegal aliens need to trade in their 90's pickup for a new Lightning?
Darn tootin'. LOL

I would think work trucks are used even more frequently as personal vehicles. That seems to be the case, particularly for small or self-owned businesses.
I'm thinking city and county work trucks. Those are the woke folk who never let employees take vehicles home, ever. It isn't their money, either, so cost is no object when trying to appear virtuous.

I think we are heading in the EV direction. There is no doubt about that. However, I have my doubts that we'll even reach 50% EVs on the road. Too many yet be dealt with issues with battery production and disposal that could slow or end progress, and too many situations where ICE looks like it will always be superior.
Agreed to all of that. But I still think that government truck fleets will go electric at the first opportunity. If you want to be successful in the truck market, you had better be there with the goods.