2021 Gen3 Transmission issue???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know exactly what you're saying as my 2019 has done this twice after driving spiritedly and transmission temperature was around 240°.

Getting on the highway and while shifting, it was extremely violent as it felt as though the transmission was coming through the floorboard. This was after a brand new transmission was installed. I took it in and Dealership stated it was overfilled. It's done it one more time under the same circumstances.

Afterwards it goes back to shifting like butter.
Keep an eye on the Instrument Cluster when it happens. I finally experienced it myself, it was a downshift from 10th while passing on the highway and it downshifted extremely hard. Turns out the traction control was intervening (icon flashing) as soon as the lower gear engaged, causing the PCM to cut power.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
why was your trans replaced? also 240 sounds high
Because it had a major failure that called for a new transmission. I agree that 240 seems high for just driving spiritedly keeping the revs up as it usually runs around 220°.

Plan on taking a tech with me when it warms up again to see if I can duplicate it with him in the vehicle.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Keep an eye on the Instrument Cluster when it happens. I finally experienced it myself, it was a downshift from 10th while passing on the highway and it downshifted extremely hard. Turns out the traction control was intervening (icon flashing) as soon as the lower gear engaged, causing the PCM to cut power.
Roger that, thanks. Will do when I repeat the run with a tech in the vehicle in a little warmer weather.

But let me ask you this, doesn't 240° seem a little high for just spiritedly driving around in sport mode, keeping the revs. up to minimize breaking as well, which it hit that temp both times when it happened.

Also I always hold and press the button for about 7 seconds disabling both traction control and anti-roll. I forget the message but I always do this when there is good traction on the street.

RotorOver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a weird transmission glitch yesterday. I did a spirited acceleration from a red light under approximately 50-75% throttle. When I hit about 4900 rpm I lifted and revs began to cycle. I immediately got a "Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power" alert and the throttle felt disconnected from power delivery. Both my son and I heard a slow ticking sound, which began to get louder. As as I started to get over to the right into a turn lane off the main road, I reached for a higher gear on the paddles to see if the rpm's responded and I could regain control. With the shift lever still in drive, the transmission shifted to neutral on its own, probably trying to protect itself. I was able to coast the truck to the shoulder as I made a right turn and then came to a stop. I immediately shut the engine down.

After a few oh sh*ts on the side of the road, I decided to try a restart. The engine started normally and the alert was cleared. I started driving forward and the engine / transmission response was normal. I aborted my trip to our cabin that was the intended destination of the trip and RTB'd the 25 miles home with no issues. After unloading the truck, I went back out to test the truck under hard acceleration since it appeared to be one of those one off glitches. It responded completely normally with no alerts or abnormal indications. Reloaded the truck and did the 50 mile trip to the cabin with no issues. I'll let you all know if I experience it again. I'll definitely be taking it in to the dealership if it happens again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RaptorCDH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a weird transmission glitch yesterday. I did a spirited acceleration from a red light under approximately 50-75% throttle. When I hit about 4900 rpm I lifted and revs began to cycle. I immediately got a "Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power" alert and the throttle felt discounted from power delivery. Both my son an I heard a slow ticking sound, which began to get louder. As as I started to get over to the right into a turn lane off the main road, I reached for a higher gear on the paddles to see if the rpm's responded and I could regain control. With the shift lever still in drive, the transmission shifted to neutral on its own, probably trying to protect itself. I was able to coast the truck to the shoulder as I made a right turn and then came to a stop. I immediately shut the engine down.

After a few oh sh*ts on the side of the road, I decided to try a restart. The engine started normally and the alert was cleared. I started driving forward and the engine / transmission response was normal. I aborted my trip to our cabin that was the intended destination of the trip and RTB'd the 25 miles home with no issues. After unloading the truck, I went back out to test the truck under hard acceleration since it appeared to be one of those one off glitches. It responded completely normally with no alerts or abnormal indications. Reloaded the truck and did the 50 mile trip to the cabin with no issues. I'll let you all know if I experience it again. I'll definitely be taking it in to the dealership if it happens again.
So glad it worked out for you and the family…I don’t have complete faith in my gen3…first year gremlins make me second guess long trips—-I think we all mostly love our new trucks but they are issues and fixes that need to addressed. Hopefully just software updates—. Cheers

NJ2020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a weird transmission glitch yesterday. I did a spirited acceleration from a red light under approximately 50-75% throttle. When I hit about 4900 rpm I lifted and revs began to cycle. I immediately got a "Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power" alert and the throttle felt disconnected from power delivery. Both my son and I heard a slow ticking sound, which began to get louder. As as I started to get over to the right into a turn lane off the main road, I reached for a higher gear on the paddles to see if the rpm's responded and I could regain control. With the shift lever still in drive, the transmission shifted to neutral on its own, probably trying to protect itself. I was able to coast the truck to the shoulder as I made a right turn and then came to a stop. I immediately shut the engine down.

Would definitely try to get the codes read. Not a new transmission so would probably be an easy diagnosis.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Roger that, thanks. Will do when I repeat the run with a tech in the vehicle in a little warmer weather.

But let me ask you this, doesn't 240° seem a little high for just spiritedly driving around in sport mode, keeping the revs. up to minimize breaking as well, which it hit that temp both times when it happened.

Also I always hold and press the button for about 7 seconds disabling both traction control and anti-roll. I forget the message but I always do this when there is good traction on the street.
I wouldn’t be concerned with a trans temp of 240 under spirited driving; the transmission isn’t overheating unless it hit 275 degrees or higher.

AlexT

Reaction score
Same thing has happened to me; when cruising on the interstate , flooring it will shift from 10th to 6th causing a very violent downshift. It took me the second time it happened to notice the traction control flashing .

JPeazy

Reaction score
Hey Everybody,

So my 2021 Gen 3 with @4k miles has had perfect shifting ansd excellent transmission performance.

Today while coasting with a bit of light throttle …a sudden loud noise and a jolt went through the driveline. I thought someone hit me from behind.

It has never done this until today. No error codes and transmission and it didn’t seem affected after the remaining drive home.
Shifts were smooth as ever …
I’m hoping it was a one and done occurrence…. We will see

Cheers.
Same thing just happened to me and I have approx 3700 miles. Was coasting around a corner and gave very minimal throttle rounding the corner and heard a clunk/metal sound under the floorboard. Thought I ran over something, went back and looked, and nothing was there. Nope, it was definitely the truck. No warning lights have popped up and seems to be driving ok now. I’ll be on the lookout for this again!

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same thing just happened to me and I have approx 3700 miles. Was coasting around a corner and gave very minimal throttle rounding the corner and heard a clunk/metal sound under the floorboard. Thought I ran over something, went back and looked, and nothing was there. Nope, it was definitely the truck. No warning lights have popped up and seems to be driving ok now. I’ll be on the lookout for this again!
This just happened to me a few hours ago going around a 10mph blind corner store n my neighborhood. Thought I had somehow picked up a (big) rock that was thrown at the underbody but there was nothing there.