2021 Gen3 Transmission issue???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorCDH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Everybody,

So my 2021 Gen 3 with @4k miles has had perfect shifting ansd excellent transmission performance.

Today while coasting with a bit of light throttle …a sudden loud noise and a jolt went through the driveline. I thought someone hit me from behind.

It has never done this until today. No error codes and transmission and it didn’t seem affected after the remaining drive home.
Shifts were smooth as ever …
I’m hoping it was a one and done occurrence…. We will see

Cheers.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
if you apply throttle mid downshift, you will be rewarded with an “inarticulate shift”. This happened on my ’17 once and I was of course a little concerned. However, like you it resumed normal operation. On a bet, I decided to try and replicate. It took a while, you have to catch the truck in either mid up shift or mid downshift at just the right moment and give a bit of throttle and ‘clunk’.

They can’t program for everything.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hopefully it was a one time hic cup! Must of caught mid shift. I think the Gen 3s are built pretty tough !

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Downshifts in D when in sport mode can be pretty violent. I can feel the driveline move.
Worst case scenario, it’s under warranty…

OP
OP
R

RaptorCDH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreee …Sport does have firm shifts for sure. I was in normal mode at the time…this particular shift was loud and pretty violent—it felt like someone hit back of my truck …my gen 2 did some occasional missed shifts (ie noisy shifts that either missed a gear or made a loud metallic driveline shudder / noise…)

This was much worse…either way stuff happens and it is warrantied so I’ll just keep on driving!!!

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Agreee …Sport does have firm shifts for sure. I was in normal mode at the time…this particular shift was loud and pretty violent—it felt like someone hit back of my truck …my gen 2 did some occasional missed shifts (ie noisy shifts that either missed a gear or made a loud metallic driveline shudder / noise…)

This was much worse…either way stuff happens and it is warrantied so I’ll just keep on driving!!!
I know exactly what you're saying as my 2019 has done this twice after driving spiritedly and transmission temperature was around 240°.

Getting on the highway and while shifting, it was extremely violent as it felt as though the transmission was coming through the floorboard. This was after a brand new transmission was installed. I took it in and Dealership stated it was overfilled. It's done it one more time under the same circumstances.

Afterwards it goes back to shifting like butter.

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know exactly what you're saying as my 2019 has done this twice after driving spiritedly and transmission temperature was around 240°.

Getting on the highway and while shifting, it was extremely violent as it felt as though the transmission was coming through the floorboard. This was after a brand new transmission was installed. I took it in and Dealership stated it was overfilled. It's done it one more time under the same circumstances.

Afterwards it goes back to shifting like butter.
why was your trans replaced? also 240 sounds high